1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going back to graduate school after 3 years, any advice?

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    Hi there,

I am planning on going back to graduate school to get a PhD in Physics. I plan on applying during the fall of next year, and then going back the year after. However, I still need letters of recommendations, and its already been a while since I've last communicated with any of my former professors (I graduated about a year and a half ago). On the other hand, I do work a full time job. So I'm wondering if it would be ok to have my employers send letters of recommendations.

I've already taken the GRE's, I scored a 90 percentile on the Physics subject test. Is this score good enough? I believe that they are good for 5 years, correct?

I also have research experience, but that was a while ago while I was still in school. I don't know if they would remember me after a few years...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Letters from your employer are OK, but worthless. Unless they have PhD's in physics themselves, they will not have a clue as to whether you are suited for a graduate program or not, and their letters will be weighted accordingly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook