Going back to graduate school after 3 years, any advice?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Xelloss
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

I am planning on going back to graduate school to get a PhD in Physics. I plan on applying during the fall of next year, and then going back the year after. However, I still need letters of recommendations, and its already been a while since I've last communicated with any of my former professors (I graduated about a year and a half ago). On the other hand, I do work a full time job. So I'm wondering if it would be ok to have my employers send letters of recommendations.

I've already taken the GRE's, I scored a 90 percentile on the Physics subject test. Is this score good enough? I believe that they are good for 5 years, correct?

I also have research experience, but that was a while ago while I was still in school. I don't know if they would remember me after a few years...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Letters from your employer are OK, but worthless. Unless they have PhD's in physics themselves, they will not have a clue as to whether you are suited for a graduate program or not, and their letters will be weighted accordingly.