Going back to graduate school after 3 years, any advice?

In summary, the individual is planning on applying for a PhD in Physics in the fall of next year. They are concerned about obtaining letters of recommendation since it has been a year and a half since they have communicated with their former professors. They are considering having their employer provide a letter, but are unsure if it would hold any weight. They have already taken the GRE's and scored in the 90th percentile on the Physics subject test, which is valid for 5 years. They also have previous research experience, but are unsure if it will be remembered after a few years. The person they were conversing with advises against relying on letters from employers, unless they have PhD's in physics themselves.
Xelloss
Hi there,

I am planning on going back to graduate school to get a PhD in Physics. I plan on applying during the fall of next year, and then going back the year after. However, I still need letters of recommendations, and its already been a while since I've last communicated with any of my former professors (I graduated about a year and a half ago). On the other hand, I do work a full time job. So I'm wondering if it would be ok to have my employers send letters of recommendations.

I've already taken the GRE's, I scored a 90 percentile on the Physics subject test. Is this score good enough? I believe that they are good for 5 years, correct?

I also have research experience, but that was a while ago while I was still in school. I don't know if they would remember me after a few years...

Physics news on Phys.org
Letters from your employer are OK, but worthless. Unless they have PhD's in physics themselves, they will not have a clue as to whether you are suited for a graduate program or not, and their letters will be weighted accordingly.

1. What are the benefits of going back to graduate school after a 3-year break?

Going back to graduate school after a 3-year break can have many benefits. It allows you to gain new skills and knowledge in your field, which can make you more competitive in the job market. It also gives you the opportunity to network with other professionals and potentially open up new career opportunities. Additionally, it can help you advance in your current career or transition into a new one.

2. How should I prepare for going back to graduate school after a 3-year break?

Preparing for graduate school after a 3-year break involves several steps. First, make sure to research the program you are interested in and familiarize yourself with its requirements and expectations. It is also important to refresh your knowledge in your field of study and brush up on any skills that may have become rusty. Additionally, reach out to current students or alumni to gain insight into the program and its challenges.

3. What challenges should I expect when going back to graduate school after a 3-year break?

Going back to graduate school after a 3-year break can present several challenges. You may need to adjust to a new academic environment and workload, as well as balancing your studies with work and other responsibilities. Additionally, you may need to relearn certain concepts and catch up with your peers who have been studying continuously. However, with proper time management and dedication, these challenges can be overcome.

4. How can I make the most of my graduate school experience after a 3-year break?

To make the most of your graduate school experience after a 3-year break, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Take advantage of resources such as professors, tutors, and study groups to help you stay on track. Additionally, participate in extracurricular activities and network with your peers to enhance your learning experience and expand your professional network.

5. Is it worth going back to graduate school after a 3-year break?

The answer to this question depends on your individual goals and circumstances. Going back to graduate school after a 3-year break can be a valuable investment in your future if it aligns with your career aspirations and offers opportunities for growth. However, it is important to carefully consider the financial and time commitments involved and weigh them against the potential benefits. Ultimately, only you can determine if it is worth it for you.