Going Into Physics or Engineering Physics

In summary, it sounds like engineering physics would have some advantages over physics, or vice versa. You should contact the schools you hope to attend and find out what their requirements are for admission to the programs you are interested in. And also what kinds of things make it more likely to get you admission. And what scholarships are available, because most scholarships require you to apply to be considered.
vancouver_water
Hi everyone,
I have a question that I've been thinking about for a long time. I am a current first year engineering undergrad at UBC in Canada, and I do not know whether I should go into the schools engineering physics program or transfer to sciences and do an honours physics degree. My first term average was 88% and I know it's a long ways away, but I am hoping to get into a very good graduate school for physics. Would engineering physics have any advantage over physics, or vice versa?
Thanks!

ps. here is the course lists for engphys, although starting next year there won't be any mechanical, electrical, or mechatronics stream, and I will be able to take pure physics classes instead of those streams. http://www.engphys.ubc.ca/courses/required-courses/

Physics news on Phys.org
You should contact the schools you hope to attend and find out what their requirements are for admission to the programs you are interested in. And also what kinds of things make it more likely to get you admission. And what scholarships are available, because most scholarships require you to apply to be considered.

For example, some schools will not care what department taught you the things they want, as long as you have certain courses. Some schools will be putting more weight on a letter of recommendation than other schools. Some will put weight on "leadership" things, however they may define them.

You should also try to find out where people wind up getting jobs after they graduate from the schools you are interested in. Get magazines like "Physics Today" and find the issue that shows where recent grads got jobs. Want a job like that? Then that is a plus for going to that school. And maybe for trying to work with a particular prof at that school.

To find out what research people at specific schools are doing, you could sample this web site.

http://arxiv.org/

Once you know where they do what you are interested in, try to get into that school.

In all of these searches, Google is your friend.

DEvens said:
You should contact the schools you hope to attend and find out what their requirements are for admission to the programs you are interested in. And also what kinds of things make it more likely to get you admission. And what scholarships are available, because most scholarships require you to apply to be considered.

For example, some schools will not care what department taught you the things they want, as long as you have certain courses. Some schools will be putting more weight on a letter of recommendation than other schools. Some will put weight on "leadership" things, however they may define them.

You should also try to find out where people wind up getting jobs after they graduate from the schools you are interested in. Get magazines like "Physics Today" and find the issue that shows where recent grads got jobs. Want a job like that? Then that is a plus for going to that school. And maybe for trying to work with a particular prof at that school.

To find out what research people at specific schools are doing, you could sample this web site.

http://arxiv.org/

Once you know where they do what you are interested in, try to get into that school.

In all of these searches, Google is your friend.
That was a lot of info, thank you so much!

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering physics?

Physics is a broad field of study that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. Engineering physics, on the other hand, is a more applied field that combines the principles of physics with engineering to solve practical problems.

2. What kind of career opportunities are available for those who study physics or engineering physics?

There are many career opportunities in both physics and engineering physics. Graduates can work in research and development, industry, government agencies, and academia. Some common job titles include physicist, engineer, data analyst, research scientist, and professor.

3. Can I study physics or engineering physics if I don't have a strong math background?

Math is an essential component of both physics and engineering physics, so having a strong foundation in math is important. However, if you are willing to put in the effort to improve your math skills, you can still pursue a degree in these fields. Many universities offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students succeed in their math courses.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in physics or engineering physics?

To excel in physics or engineering physics, you will need strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a love for math and science. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills, as these fields often involve collaborating with others on projects and presenting research findings.

5. Is it possible to switch from a physics major to an engineering physics major (or vice versa)?

Yes, it is typically possible to switch between these majors, as they have a lot of overlap in coursework. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor and plan carefully to ensure that you meet all of the necessary requirements for your chosen major.