Going to go to University of Texas in Austin. Should I study EE or ME?

In summary, UT offers both EE and ME tracks with a strong emphasis on power systems. While EE focuses on the electrical aspects and ME on the mechanical aspects, both can lead to a career in the power grid industry. It's important to consider your interests and goals when deciding between the two tracks.
Governergrim
To clarify, I am interested in working with energy transformation and conversion (the power grid specifically). This is the track for EE I found there with an emphasis on Power systems:

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/undergraduate/technical_areas.cfm

These are the areas of study in ME:

http://www.engr.utexas.edu/undergraduate/programs/319-me

I have read on these boards that for power systems one is better off going into ME. But it seems like at UT I'm better off going into EE. Is this correct or am I missing something? Thanks for any and all assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your interest in energy transformation and conversion. It's great to see that you're considering both electrical engineering (EE) and mechanical engineering (ME) as potential tracks for your studies.

To answer your question, both EE and ME have a strong emphasis on power systems at the University of Texas (UT). The key difference between the two is the approach they take in studying power systems.

EE focuses on the electrical aspects of power systems, such as generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity. This includes topics like power electronics, control systems, and renewable energy systems. On the other hand, ME focuses on the mechanical aspects of power systems, such as designing and maintaining machinery used in power generation and distribution.

Ultimately, both tracks can lead to a career in the power grid industry. It really depends on your specific interests and the type of work you want to do. If you're more interested in the electrical and electronic components of power systems, EE might be the better fit for you. However, if you're more interested in the mechanical aspects, then ME might be the better choice.

I suggest exploring the course curriculum for both tracks and talking to current students or professors in each department to get a better understanding of the focus and opportunities within each program. Additionally, internships and research opportunities in your desired field can also give you valuable experience and help guide your decision.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Best of luck in your studies and future career in energy transformation and conversion.

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Mechanical Engineering (ME)?

EE focuses on the study of electrical systems, devices, and technologies, while ME focuses on the study of mechanical systems, machines, and processes. Both fields involve math, physics, and problem-solving, but have different applications.

2. Which engineering major has better job prospects?

Both EE and ME have strong job prospects, as both fields are in high demand in various industries. It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths, as well as the job market in your desired location.

3. What types of courses can I expect to take in each major?

In EE, you can expect to take courses in circuits, electronics, electromagnetics, and computer engineering. In ME, you can expect to take courses in mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and design. Both majors will also have general engineering and math courses.

4. Is it possible to double major in EE and ME?

Yes, it is possible to double major in EE and ME at the University of Texas in Austin. However, it may require taking additional courses and may take longer to complete your degree. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine if a double major is feasible for you.

5. What career options are available for graduates with an EE or ME degree?

Graduates with an EE degree can pursue careers in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, energy, and computer hardware. Graduates with an ME degree can pursue careers in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and construction. Both majors also have opportunities in research and development, consulting, and entrepreneurship.