Going to Hungary or Czech Republic for pure math study

In summary, many people highly recommend going to Eastern Bloc countries to get a quality education in mathematics. Additionally, some first place winners in the International Mathematics Competition for University Students is from Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Czech, etc. so it would be a good idea to go there next year. However, if you are not able to speak the language then Charles University in Prague may be a better option.
ZComet
I heard a lot of great things about the quality of math education in Eastern Bloc countries. Also, a lot of those first place winners in the International Mathematics Competition for University Students is from Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Czech, etc. So I am thinking of going there next year to take undergraduate course in pure mathematics.

Should I really go there or I can experience the same standard if I go to the UK/USA instead? I scouted two institutions so far which is Lorant Eotvos University and Masaryk University BTW.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
I am currently studying at Masaryk university (astrophysics undergrad) and in my opinion the math there is on a higher level than in US/UK unies (judging from the online material and lecture videos). Its a good university but I think you should check out Charles University in Prague. The standard is definitely high there and most people do not make it through their first year. But if you are serious then it will pay off. I do not know anything about Hungarian universities though.

@alseth: I guess at the bachelor's level most courses will not be in English. Is it doable for a foreign student who doesn't speak the language? What about master courses?

Well, there are some courses in English that I know of (masters mainly) but I have no idea about the possibilities for non-Czech/non-Slovak speakers to study here so I really can't tell you anything. I can find out if you want though.

alseth said:
...in my opinion the math there is on a higher level than in US/UK unies (judging from the online material and lecture videos).
Sorry to be off-topic, but do you have a link to math videos from UK universities? Or any university math videos in English from Europe?

There are a few lectures here and there conducted in English but the course as a whole is in Czech for math. That's why I said I am going there next year because I need the time to learn the language.

It's quite strange though, searching through this forum many people describe Hungary as a "powerhouse" of mathematics and yet no one has actually been to that place.

I was in Hungary many times. But not for math :smile:

alseth said:
Well, there are some courses in English that I know of (masters mainly) but I have no idea about the possibilities for non-Czech/non-Slovak speakers to study here so I really can't tell you anything. I can find out if you want though.
Thanks, but it was more a question out of curiosity, I'm not really considering studying there. Here [the Netherlands] most master programmes in the natural sciences are taught in English entirely.

http://www.msu.ru/en/

great university in russia, producing numerous fields medalists. would love to study there personally. but i can't speak russian.

What are the benefits of studying pure math in Hungary or Czech Republic?

Studying pure math in Hungary or Czech Republic offers students the opportunity to receive a high-quality education at a lower cost compared to other countries. Additionally, these countries have a strong tradition in mathematics and offer a wide range of courses and research opportunities.

What are the admission requirements for pure math programs in Hungary or Czech Republic?

The admission requirements vary depending on the university, but in general, students are expected to have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Some universities may also require standardized test scores and letters of recommendation.

What is the job market like for pure math graduates in Hungary or Czech Republic?

The job market for pure math graduates in Hungary and Czech Republic is quite favorable. Many graduates go on to pursue careers in academia, research, or industries such as finance, technology, and data science. These countries also have a growing demand for professionals with strong mathematical skills.

What is the language of instruction for pure math programs in Hungary or Czech Republic?

The language of instruction for most pure math programs in Hungary and Czech Republic is English. However, some universities may offer courses in the local language. It is important to check with the specific university for their language requirements.

Are there any scholarship opportunities for international students studying pure math in Hungary or Czech Republic?

Yes, there are various scholarship opportunities available for international students studying pure math in Hungary or Czech Republic. These include government-funded scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and external scholarships from organizations such as the Fulbright Commission. It is recommended to research and apply for scholarships early on in the application process.