Calculating Friction on a Golf Ball in Rough Grass

In summary, the question discusses finding the frictional force on a golf ball that rolls to a stop in rough grass after just missing the green. The ball's initial velocity and distance traveled before stopping are given, and the problem assumes uniform friction and neglects gravity. The conversation also mentions using energy and free body diagrams to solve the problem.
SwAnK
The question is a 50g golf ball rolls horizontally to a stop in 30 cm of rough grass, as it just misses the green. The ball was moving at 10km/h [east] as it entered the rough grass. What is the frictional on the ball during the slowing down? Assume it was unifrom. Include an FBD and neglect gravity.?

How do you find friction??

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram, identify that the only force acting is friction. The problem tells you that it took 30cm for the ball to stop.

Think of an equation that relates Force, distance, velocity and mass.

I can think of two.

I used the v2(squared)=v1(squared) +2a*d
My accelration i got around -12.88m/s
and for the friction i got 0.643N?? does this sound right??

Last edited:
Have you tried energy?

it was strictly a friction question, without using any energy methods, although they could have been used. Is my answer correct??

Your measured acceleration times your mass should equal your friction.

[tex]F*d = \frac{m*v^2}{2} [/tex]

By conservation of energy.

Do you know much about free body diagrams??

we know everything about free body diagrams...:)

marlon

[tex] \Rightarrow V_0 [/tex]
[tex] \Leftarrow F_f, F_n [/tex]

How do you put mroe than one letter in a subscript?

alright, ill never never question your knowledge again :smile:

well for the question first asked, i got a friction of 0.644N. So for the FBD would there be an arrow going left being the 0.644N and one right. The one right labeled something like F less then 0.644N since it is coming to a stop. It also says to neglect gravity so I am not worry about that.

Whozum, just use the {} signs like this

[tex]a_{mama mia 2}[/tex]

marlon

The only arrows you should have are the ones I showed above

[tex] \Rightarrow V_0 [/tex]
[tex] \Leftarrow F_{friction}, F_{net} [/tex]

You may not even need the [tex] F_{net} [/tex]

There is only one force acting, the force of friction, and it is directed to the left, opposite the direction of motion. There is nothing pushing the ball to the right.

Then what does the V0 stand for ?? and doesn't the ball still have the force on it from before when it was hit?? or i guess the question means right then, so just friction? ok, that makes sense then

vo is the initial velocity

marlon

alright, thanks for all your help marlon and whozum! :smile:

1. What is the "Golf Ball Friction Problem"?

The "Golf Ball Friction Problem" refers to the issue of friction between a golf ball and the surface it is being played on. This can have a significant impact on the distance and accuracy of a golf shot.

2. What causes the friction between a golf ball and the surface it is played on?

The friction between a golf ball and the playing surface is caused by several factors, including the type of grass or material on the surface, the condition of the surface (e.g. wet or dry), and the design and composition of the golf ball itself.

3. How does friction affect a golf shot?

Friction can have a major impact on a golf shot, as it can either increase or decrease the distance and accuracy of the shot. For example, a higher friction surface may cause the ball to spin more and thus travel a shorter distance, while a lower friction surface may allow the ball to roll further.

4. Can the friction between a golf ball and the playing surface be reduced?

Yes, there are various ways to reduce the friction between a golf ball and the playing surface. This can include using different types of golf balls or adjusting the design of the golf ball itself, as well as maintaining and grooming the playing surface to reduce its friction.

5. How do scientists study the "Golf Ball Friction Problem"?

Scientists use various methods to study the "Golf Ball Friction Problem", including laboratory experiments, computer simulations, and on-course testing. They also take into account various variables such as temperature, humidity, and surface conditions to better understand the impact of friction on golf shots.