Good books to buy for an intro to theoretical physics

In summary, the individual is looking for book suggestions for an introduction to theoretical physics at an undergraduate/high secondary school level. They have a strong understanding of mathematics, including multivariable calculus, and have had exposure to classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and relativity theory. They are interested in learning more about theoretical physics and are open to recommendations for textbooks.
finchie_88
I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, but anyway, I wanted to know if there were any good books for an introduction to theoretical physics. The level I am looking for is undergraduate/high secondary school level (Those who are not English, that means 17-18 years old). I'm doing further maths, so I'm not concerned about the amount of maths in the books, any suggestions are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not concerned? I'm not exactly sure I'm familiar with "further math", but I'm guessing multivariable calculus? Can you elaborate on your past math/physics exposure?

Well, a very brief list of what is covered by 'further maths' is: Taylor series, hyperbolic functions, imaginary numbers (complex exponentials included), differentiation/integration with inverse trig functions, polar coordinates (area and path length of sectors etc), matricies (2x2 and 3x3), some work on proofs, but I don't think that's relevant for physics, and I'm going to be learning about vectors (this is supposed to be more indepth that what I can currently do), multivarible calculus, and group theory in the next couple of weeks. In terms of my mechanics, I have done stuff like projectile motion (with and without air resistance), forces (obviously), vectors, moments, centre of masses of systems, impulse/momentum, energy (0.5mv^2, that kind of thing), and frameworks.

As for physics, I've had a fair amount of exposure to classical mechanics problems, things that I've mentioned above, but also basic gravitational field theory, and a little work on electrostatic forces (coulomb's law). Elasticity of materials (Hooke's law etc), some work on gases and simple harmonic motion.

At the moment that's everything that I can remember, but there may be a few other things that I haven't included.
All this is extra to my normal maths work. So, what do you guys think?

Edit: I forgot, I have got an understanding of first order differential equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
First a couple things:

If you say High School level, to most people that will mean single variable calculus at the most, but you're clearly at a higher level than that, so just say undergrad level when you're asking these questions.

That brings me to my question: When you ask for an introduction to theoretical physics, what exactly do you mean? An actual Theoretical physics course will cover largely mathematical techniques for studying physical systems. I suspect you are more likely referring to Quantum Mechanics and Relativity theory, yes? If that is the case, a standard university Modern Physics text will cover both of those at a level well within the reach of your math capabilities (multivariable calculus with a little vector calculus, and still pretty light on those.).

Are there any Modern Physics texts that anyone could recommend for undergraduate level?

Although some of these may be advanced now, you may be able to learn a little bit or at least see what lies ahead so that you can prepare yourself:

"Theoretical Concepts in Physics : An Alternative View of Theoretical Reasoning in Physics" by Longair
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052152878X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

"A unified grand tour of theoretical physics" by Lawrie
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750306041/?tag=pfamazon01-20

some course notes:

"Ph 136: APPLICATIONS OF CLASSICAL PHYSICS" by Thorne
http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2004/

"Courses taught by Richard Fitzpatrick at UT Austin"
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html

finchie_88 said:
Are there any Modern Physics texts that anyone could recommend for undergraduate level?

A standard text for second or third year courses (in North America) is Modern Physics by Tipler and Llewellyn. To find others go the books section on amazon.com, and, in the title field of the advanced search, type modern physics. Almost all the books that come up will be at the same level.

Alternative, I have a recommendation of a completely ilk - The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Sir Roger Penrose. Penrose intended this 1100 page tome to be for everyto be one from interested laypersons to research scientists.

Also, it's not necessarily meant to be read from cover - just open it to whatever topic tickles your fancy. If you don't understand something in one pargraph, try to find some background elsewhere in the book, or go on to the next paragraph.

Regards,
George

Thank you for the excellant links and references, I'm looking at them right now (possibly not when you read this message, but you know what I mean!), I think a little trip to the city library (or to amazon.com) will get me on my way.:wink:

1. What are the best books for an introduction to theoretical physics?

The best books for an introduction to theoretical physics will vary depending on the individual's level of understanding and personal preferences. However, some popular choices among physicists include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Dirk Walecka, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky.

2. Are there any recommended books specifically for beginners in theoretical physics?

Yes, there are several books that are specifically designed for beginners in theoretical physics. Some popular choices include "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky, "A First Course in Theoretical Physics" by Paul L. DeVries, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

3. Are there any books that provide a comprehensive overview of theoretical physics?

Yes, there are several books that provide a comprehensive overview of theoretical physics. Some popular choices include "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky, "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose, and "Theoretical Physics" by Georg Joos and Ira M. Freeman.

4. Are there any books that focus on a specific area of theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific areas of theoretical physics. Some popular choices include "String Theory" by Joseph Polchinski, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Introduction to General Relativity" by John Dirk Walecka.

5. Are there any books that provide a more advanced understanding of theoretical physics?

Yes, there are several books that provide a more advanced understanding of theoretical physics. Some popular choices include "Theoretical Physics: From Classical Mechanics to Quantum Field Theory" by Georg Joos and Ira M. Freeman, "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz, and "Advanced Quantum Mechanics" by J. J. Sakurai and Jim Napolitano.