1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good combinatorics books for self-study?

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    I am a first-year physics major (currently in calc 2) and was wondering if there are any good introductory/low-level books on combinatorics through which I could educate myself over the summer. My college is offering a topics course on it next semester, but I was told by the professor that it has high prerequisites and I probably wouldn't understand it at the level that it will be taught at. Because my college is a small institution, it may not be taught again before I graduate, which is why I'm looking into studying it myself. Any tips or suggestions? Also, will it be difficult to learn the majority of combinatorics topics with only a calc 2 background?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2
    Though I can't recommend you a textbook, I will simply point you to the fact that there is a Schaum's Outline of combinatorics amazon link.

Schaum's has a good record for quality, though they tend to be meant as supplements as opposed to a stand-alone textbook. With that said given the price it can't hurt to have one, if only for the wealth of worked examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook