Good Multivariable Calculus reference text

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good reference text for multivariable calculus, specifically one that follows on from Spivak's Calculus and covers topics like 2/3d/Vectors and is useful for further studies in quantum mechanics and electromagnetics. The person mentions that they have mostly been studying chemistry subjects and are starting to pay attention to essential proofs. They also mention that their university's reference text is Thomas' Calculus 11th ed. and suggest books on differential geometry or functional analysis as alternative options.
chipsandwich
What is a good, solid reference text for multivariable calculus? Ideally something you'd get by following on from Spivak's Calculus into 2/3d/Vectors etc. I've already done the course, but it's sort of slipping my mind these days - I've mostly been doing chemistry subjects, and they're not really as big on mvc as they are on diffyQs. I ask because I'm probably going to be getting into further QM and electromagnetics soon, and I hate seeing all of this math just fly by. I've also been reading into a bit of introductory analysis and I'm starting to hate how I never paid too much attention to apparently innocous, but essential, proofs.

Our university's reference text was Thomas' Calculus 11th ed. (i.e. not really "Thomas'" Calculus at all) just for comparison. Pretty much the exact same contents as Stewart's if you're not familiar.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
chipsandwich said:
Our university's reference text was Thomas' Calculus 11th ed. (i.e. not really "Thomas'" Calculus at all) just for comparison. Pretty much the exact same contents as Stewart's if you're not familiar.
Whatever this means ...

If you don't like Thomas, which I think is ok, then why not consider a book on differential geometry? I'm guessing a bit based on what you ruled out, not what you were interested in. Any standard book on multivariate calculus should match your needs, but you basically ruled them out.

For a good first read on differential geometry I recommend Thorpe:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387903577/?tag=pfamazon01-20

An alternative - useful for QM - would be a book about functional analysis:
E. Zeidler: Nonlinear Functional Analysis and its Applications (Vol. I, IIA, IIB, III, IV)
see links under 'Sources' at the end of
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/tell-operations-operators-functionals-representations-apart/

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables, as opposed to single variable calculus which deals with functions of only one variable. It involves differentiating and integrating functions with multiple variables, and has applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. What is a good reference text for learning multivariable calculus?

Some popular reference texts for multivariable calculus include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran. Ultimately, the best reference text will depend on individual preferences and learning styles.

3. What should I look for in a good multivariable calculus reference text?

A good multivariable calculus reference text should have clear and concise explanations, a variety of practice problems and examples, and a comprehensive coverage of topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. It should also have a thorough index and be well-organized for easy navigation.

4. Can I use an online resource as a reference for multivariable calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning multivariable calculus, such as lecture notes, video tutorials, and interactive practice problems. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and accuracy of these resources before using them as a reference.

5. How can I effectively use a multivariable calculus reference text?

To effectively use a multivariable calculus reference text, it is important to first have a basic understanding of single variable calculus. Then, make sure to read and understand the concepts thoroughly, and practice solving problems to reinforce your understanding. It can also be helpful to seek clarification from a teacher or tutor if needed.