Quantifying the Unknown: Understanding the Universe Through Numbers

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of FTL travel and whether it was a realistic possibility or just a fantasy. The participants discussed the origins of these ideas, including talks by string theorists and articles in scientific magazines. Some felt that these discussions were not productive unless one had a deep understanding of the universe, while others defended the value of exploring these concepts. The conversation also touched on the limitations of human understanding and the use of mathematics as a tool to describe the world. Overall, the conversation remained civil and respectful, with participants expressing differing opinions but avoiding personal attacks.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
For knocking the FTLT thread on the head, but i wonder whos fault all this mumbo jumbo can be attributed to, i could google but i am to tiered and it is only a passing interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wolram, this mumbo jumbo or however you prefer to hear is due to views of many string theorists on such matter. I've seen talks like that in Brian Greene's "elegant universe" and especially Michio Kaku enjoys talking about these fantasies. AFAIR, there was even an article in some issue of scientific american about time travels using wormholes, etc and discovery magazine (or something like that). Later people take this for real. (I will but only when humans become able to leave solar system, and find real wormholes, not just theoretizing about their existence.

By the way, I can scarcely understand your personality. While others' seem so clear, I have no idea about yours. Guess why it happens :)

Heartless, there was indeed an article in SciAm about the subject. The main point of it, however, was that sustaining a wormhole large enough for any kind of ship to pass through would require a constant application of negative energy that would exceed the total energy content of the universe. That would put the issue squarely into the category of "ain't going to happen".

Heartless, i could rabbit on about the the tools that work so well on earth, buy may be not so well in the vacuum, this is not the place to dwell on my thoughts, maths is a good and bad tool, use it as you will , then tell me what is real and what is not.

I had to protect your rights to FTL travel Wolram. :smile:

Actually, as a question it wasn't bad, but I couldn't see anything positive coming out of it. I was just afraid of where it might head.

S.T, it wasn't a bad question, and I'm still divided on closing the thread. I have to commend you for not taking it wrong. You showed maturity and understanding.

BTW, welcome to PF, don't get discouraged, you'll learn a lot here.

no discouragement at all

i like learning

i don't take anything wrong, as long as people don't take anything i say wrongly, because i never say anything to offend/discourage anyone

I think sooner or later somebody would write that such discussions don't contribute to anyone's interest or knowledge before prior understanding of universe at a deeper level, and designing rockets or any kind of flying objects being able to exceed today's limits. So it'd just be plain fantasies, though being totally confident of oneself. :wink:

Heartless, i could rabbit on about the the tools that work so well on earth, buy may be not so well in the vacuum, this is not the place to dwell on my thoughts, maths is a good and bad tool, use it as you will , then tell me what is real and what is not.

Hehe :rofl: That's why I can almost never understand your thoughts. I just can't understand what you say! How would you say this in more simple way, so that a simpleton such as me could easily comprehend? What does 'to rabbit about something' mean?

Thanks Wolram :)

Last edited:
Evo said:
I had to protect your rights to FTL travel Wolram. :smile:

Actually, as a question it wasn't bad, but I couldn't see anything positive coming out of it. I was just afraid of where it might head.

Thanks Evo, the problem is these ideas will not go away, if you rid your self of them what is left?

heartless said:
I think sooner or later somebody would write that such discussions don't contribute to anyone's interest or knowledge before prior understanding of universe at a deeper level, and designing rockets or any kind of flying objects being able to exceed today's limits. So it'd just be plain fantasies, though being totally confident of oneself. :wink:

Hehe :rofl: That's why I can almost never understand your thoughts. I just can't understand what you say! How would you say this in more simple way, so that a simpleton such as me could easily comprehend? What does 'to rabbit about something' mean?

Thanks Wolram :)[/QUOTE

I mean that all our understanding of the u comes from some numbers, if you were a fish what numbers could you come with to discribe your enviroment?

1. What is Mumbo Jumbo and why is it being blamed for something?

Mumbo Jumbo is a term used to describe confusing or meaningless language or actions. It is often used when trying to shift blame or responsibility for a situation. In this case, it is being blamed for a certain event or problem.

2. Who is asking the question of "Who's to blame" for Mumbo Jumbo?

This question can be asked by anyone who is trying to understand a situation or find someone to hold accountable for a problem. It could be a journalist, a politician, or even a regular person trying to make sense of a confusing situation.

3. Is Mumbo Jumbo always used to shift blame?

No, not always. Mumbo Jumbo can also be used to describe a situation or set of actions that are overly complicated or unnecessary. In this case, it is not necessarily being used to shift blame, but rather to criticize or make sense of a confusing situation.

4. How can we determine who is really to blame for a situation involving Mumbo Jumbo?

This can be a difficult question to answer, as it often depends on the specific situation and the intentions of those involved. It is important to gather all of the facts and information before assigning blame, and to consider the perspective of all parties involved.

5. How can we avoid using Mumbo Jumbo to shift blame in the future?

One way to avoid using Mumbo Jumbo to shift blame is to be honest and transparent in our communication and actions. We should take responsibility for our mistakes and work towards finding solutions rather than pointing fingers. Additionally, using clear and concise language can help prevent misunderstandings and confusion that may lead to the use of Mumbo Jumbo.