Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good on you Evo

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

For knocking the FTLT thread on the head, but i wonder whos fault all this mumbo jumbo can be attributed to, i could google but i am to tiered and it is only a passing interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2006 #2
    Wolram, this mumbo jumbo or however you prefer to hear is due to views of many string theorists on such matter. I've seen talks like that in Brian Greene's "elegant universe" and especially Michio Kaku enjoys talking about these fantasies. AFAIR, there was even an article in some issue of scientific american about time travels using wormholes, etc and discovery magazine (or something like that). Later people take this for real. (I will but only when humans become able to leave solar system, and find real wormholes, not just theoretizing about their existance.

By the way, I can scarcely understand your personality. While others' seem so clear, I have no idea about yours. Guess why it happens :)

4. Jul 29, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Heartless, there was indeed an article in SciAm about the subject. The main point of it, however, was that sustaining a wormhole large enough for any kind of ship to pass through would require a constant application of negative energy that would exceed the total energy content of the universe. That would put the issue squarely into the category of "ain't gonna happen".

5. Jul 29, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Heartless, i could rabbit on about the the tools that work so well on earth, buy may be not so well in the vacuum, this is not the place to dwell on my thoughts, maths is a good and bad tool, use it as you will , then tell me what is real and what is not.

6. Jul 29, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I had to protect your rights to FTL travel Wolram. :smile:

Actually, as a question it wasn't bad, but I couldn't see anything positive coming out of it. I was just afraid of where it might head.

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

S.T, it wasn't a bad question, and I'm still divided on closing the thread. I have to commend you for not taking it wrong. You showed maturity and understanding.

BTW, welcome to PF, don't get discouraged, you'll learn a lot here.

8. Jul 29, 2006 #7
    no discouragement at all

i like learning

i dont take anything wrong, as long as people dont take anything i say wrongly, because i never say anything to offend/discourage anyone

9. Jul 29, 2006 #8
    I think sooner or later somebody would write that such discussions don't contribute to anyone's interest or knowledge before prior understanding of universe at a deeper level, and designing rockets or any kind of flying objects being able to exceed today's limits. So it'd just be plain fantasies, though being totally confident of oneself. :wink:

Hehe :rofl: That's why I can almost never understand your thoughts. I just can't understand what you say! How would you say this in more simple way, so that a simpleton such as me could easily comprehend? What does 'to rabbit about something' mean?

Thanks Wolram :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  10. Jul 29, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Evo, the problem is these ideas will not go away, if you rid your self of them what is left?

11. Jul 29, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?