Good Science Project for a 5-year-old

In summary, the children's experiment turned their artwork into brown poop because they mixed different colors together.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Just looking for ideas here. My initial thought was wave property of light, just using a pinhole image and a water analog, but still thinking of ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
when I was 5 I remember doing a experiment from a mr. wizard book, it was showing static electricity with water, salt and pepper and maybe sugar for the life of me I can't remember how it worked but the pepper did react to the positive charge and move away from the (sugar? salt?) , when added to the water. they have vids on youtube that use a comb to create the static charge to pick up pepper from salt but that is no where as enlightening as doing the experiment in water.

The absolute best book for this, if you can find it, is "Learn While You Scrub: Science In The Tub" by James Lewis. My favorite experiment was "Was I That Dirty?" - it involves putting a coffee filter over the drain.

You might like these

Tiny paper boats powered by soap and/ or guided by magnets, bicarbonate and vinegar powered rockets and volcanos, pin-hole camera, mentos in a coke, elementary electric circuits, a small electric motor, chromatography using tissue paper- can't think of anything else right now.

Kids like explosions:
Atomic_zpssdxccg3s.jpg

AtomicII_zpswl1qquxv.jpg

Likes Evo
Kids are also fascinated by poop.

Why Poop is Brown
by Vera Lynn​

Introduction
My poop is brown, even when I don't eat brown food. When I mix my finger paints all together, they turn brown.
I think my poop is brown, because my food gets mixed up inside me.

Experiment: Have finger paints of different colors available, and mix them, showing different resulting colors. In then end, have the children mix all the colors together.
Background:
In the summer of 1984, my mother and I were tasked with baby sitting my 5 nieces and nephews. Mother, being about 60, was not up to the task, so I took charge. I presented them with an old piece of scrap wood wall paneling, 8 containers of fluorescent paint, and a paintbrush for each one. Each child created a beautiful image, until, my two eldest nieces, discovered that when you mix the colors together, something magical happened. One screamed out; "It's poop!". Which prompted the other niece to do the experiment, which prompted her to scream out; "Yes! It makes poop!". At this point, they decided to turn everyones drawing into poop, which make my nephew cry, so I terminated the experiment, and made the poop-meisters sign the resulting masterpiece.

It still hangs on my bedroom wall.

poop.Summer.1984.jpg

ps.
Crystal & Kelly were both 5.
Michael was 7, and was obviously very upset that his relatives were still obsessed with poop.
I probably would have cried too. It's sad when people don't grow up.

pps.
If you're upset that her conclusion is wrong, remember this:
Just this past year, I discovered that "Purple" is not a spectral color, but a construct, of our minds.
And in the last month, I discovered that "potential energy ≠ mgh". It's a lie!

1. What is a good science project for a 5-year-old?

A good science project for a 5-year-old would be something simple and hands-on, such as creating a volcano or a homemade lava lamp. These projects allow for exploration and discovery while also being age-appropriate.

2. How can I make a science project fun for a 5-year-old?

The key to making a science project fun for a 5-year-old is to make it interactive and engaging. This can be done by incorporating colorful and interesting materials, incorporating a story or theme, and allowing the child to actively participate in the project.

3. What are some easy science experiments for a 5-year-old?

Some easy science experiments for a 5-year-old include making a homemade lava lamp, creating a rainbow with water and a prism, and exploring the properties of magnets. These experiments are simple enough for a 5-year-old to understand and can be done with everyday materials found at home.

4. How can I incorporate learning into a science project for a 5-year-old?

A great way to incorporate learning into a science project for a 5-year-old is to ask open-ended questions and encourage the child to make observations and predictions. You can also explain the science behind the project in simple terms to help them understand the concepts behind it.

5. Can a 5-year-old do a science project independently?

Some simple science projects can be done independently by a 5-year-old, with adult supervision and guidance. It is important to choose a project that is age-appropriate and safe for the child to do on their own. However, it is always beneficial for the child to have adult involvement and support during their science project.