Can Google Health be a game-changer for online healthcare?

In summary: I would NEVER save medical information online. I don't care what Google says its privacy policy is...those things are always prone to revision and has no effect on hackers. We go to great lengths within our hospital system to ensure patient medical information is isolated from the internet, or only transferred over secure networks (i.e. to transfer digital x-ray images from a radiologist to a physician), and never stored on any personal computers, someone would have to be a complete idiot to want to put their medical information out on the internet where anyone could potentially gain access to it, especially a company whose revenue is based on advertising (their interest in protecting your privacy ends if they can't sell ads to you based on the content of
humanino
What do you guys think about this new service ? Will you consider using it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
gees---those guys are going to start a cell phone service and a real estate company before too long

have you got a link?

"Google Docs" is not it (hopefully that's not the one you mean)

_________________________-

https://www.google.com/health/html/tour/index.html

what the ... are doing?!

"Put your entire life from birth to death, and everything in between on the web, (we hope with us) for the world to use someday!"

(paraphrased)

Last edited:
rewebster said:
have you got a link?
Google Health Tour

With Google Health, you can store and manage all your health information in one place. And it's completely free. All you need to get started is a Google username and password.

So is it safe? Yes! We believe that your health information belongs to you, and you should decide how much you share and whom you share it with. We will never sell your data. We store your information securely and privately. Check out our privacy policy to learn more.

Frickin' FINALLY! I get tired of going from doc to doc and having to fill out the same god damned forms every time. Just give me something to print out and I'll be happy.

Wow, no way!

It's especially a bad idea as long as insurance companies can reject people for pre-existing conditions, IMO.

Poop-Loops said:
Frickin' FINALLY! I get tired of going from doc to doc and having to fill out the same god damned forms every time. Just give me something to print out and I'll be happy.

yeah!--you go see a doctor and tell him that you didn't fill out HIS form; and then tell him to go online to get the one the YOU'VE made out already

Anyone that uses an online service to post personal medical information has got to be crazy.

Evo said:
Anyone that uses an online service to post personal medical information has got to be crazy.

Using Google Health indicates Mental Health problems. SO that act alone will disqualify you from getinng insurance :smile:

jim mcnamara said:
Using Google Health indicates Mental Health problems. SO that act alone will disqualify you from getinng insurance :smile:

:rofl:

jim mcnamara said:

Maybe we should add it as a diagnostic criteria when the DSM V gets published.

I would NEVER save medical information online. I don't care what Google says its privacy policy is...those things are always prone to revision and has no effect on hackers. We go to great lengths within our hospital system to ensure patient medical information is isolated from the internet, or only transferred over secure networks (i.e. to transfer digital x-ray images from a radiologist to a physician), and never stored on any personal computers, someone would have to be a complete idiot to want to put their medical information out on the internet where anyone could potentially gain access to it, especially a company whose revenue is based on advertising (their interest in protecting your privacy ends if they can't sell ads to you based on the content of your file).

rewebster said:
yeah!--you go see a doctor and tell him that you didn't fill out HIS form; and then tell him to go online to get the one the YOU'VE made out already

Have you ever filled out any of these forms? They are all the same. Address, phone, contacts, insurance info, pre-existing conditions, etc., etc.

Handing someone a chart with all of it already filled out -- typed -- will be a lot better.

Especially when it becomes more popular and doctors get used to seeing the format from GH.

Poop-Loops said:
Have you ever filled out any of these forms? They are all the same. Address, phone, contacts, insurance info, pre-existing conditions, etc., etc.

Handing someone a chart with all of it already filled out -- typed -- will be a lot better.

Especially when it becomes more popular and doctors get used to seeing the format from GH.

OK...try it the very next time you have a doctors appt.---then remember to come back here and tell us how it went.

My only hospital / doctor's record was being born :biggrin:

Poop-Loops said:

Why would you want to save that information online though? If you just want a standardized form, push for a standardized form you can download and save off-line. But, they aren't all the same. Doctors ask a variety of different questions relevant to their specialty. For example, the gynecologist isn't going to ask if you are seeing spots, but the opthamologist better.

Poop-Loops said:

You've got to be joking. You're going to risk someone accessing all of your medical information so you don't have to spend 5 minutes filling out a form? How often do you go to a new doctor and have to do this? I just did it for the first time in 15 years.

If you want a pre-filled form, make one and take it to the doctor. I doubt very many doctors are going to go for this what with HIPPA and lawsuits. Heck, my doctor won't even allow e-mailing of BLANK forms they are so strict.

When I recently had to have the results of a minor test which was negative (nothing wrong) sent to a different doctor. They burned the test onto a CD, I had to go there with ID and sign it out and hand deliver it to the other doctor. They refused to transfer it by any means for security reasons. If my files get into the wrong hands, it's my fault.

I could post all of my medical info on physicsforums for the world to see for all I care. That could be because I don't really have a medical history.

I am a Google addict ;)

If that saves time + looks pretty; why not do it?

I don't think anyone will put his/her real identity there ...

(But, I am just way too young to spend time on it .. )

Evo said:
You've got to be joking. You're going to risk someone accessing all of your medical information so you don't have to spend 5 minutes filling out a form? How often do you go to a new doctor and have to do this? I just did it for the first time in 15 years.

When I was trying to treat my depression I went to see a therapist + several different doctors for the pills. It added up.

I also have some weak sauce teeth so I've been to several docs for things like crowns, root canals, and of course pulling wisdom teeth.

My mom had an injury at work, so now whenever I go to with her to a doc, it's usually a new one that I have to fill out the same damn forms over and over. "Where does it hurt? How did the accident happen? Date of accident?"

Moreover, if I were to ever get in something serious and need to go to the ER, I don't have time to fill out whether or not I am allergic to X or whatever. If there was a way to just pull it up off the web, I'd be glad.

I don't see what the big deal is with medical information. Oh noes! Someone might find out I had testicular torsion when I was 7! What can they possibly do with that except solicit me for drugs?

If you want a pre-filled form, make one and take it to the doctor. I doubt very many doctors are going to go for this what with HIPPA and lawsuits. Heck, my doctor won't even allow e-mailing of BLANK forms they are so strict.

When I recently had to have the results of a minor test which was negative (nothing wrong) sent to a different doctor. They burned the test onto a CD, I had to go there with ID and sign it out and hand deliver it to the other doctor. They refused to transfer it by any means for security reasons. If my files get into the wrong hands, it's my fault.

Yes, the lawsuits would be the main reason docs wouldn't sign on to this, not because of security risks. I mean honestly, people see your medical record whenever you go to a doc. Nurses do. They could easily just spread it word of mouth, but nobody cares enough to do so.

I think that as this becomes more popular more docs will start using it, though.

Poop-Loops said:
When I was trying to treat my depression I went to see a therapist + several different doctors for the pills. It added up.

I also have some weak sauce teeth so I've been to several docs for things like crowns, root canals, and of course pulling wisdom teeth.

My mom had an injury at work, so now whenever I go to with her to a doc, it's usually a new one that I have to fill out the same damn forms over and over. "Where does it hurt? How did the accident happen? Date of accident?"

Moreover, if I were to ever get in something serious and need to go to the ER, I don't have time to fill out whether or not I am allergic to X or whatever. If there was a way to just pull it up off the web, I'd be glad.

I don't see what the big deal is with medical information. Oh noes! Someone might find out I had testicular torsion when I was 7! What can they possibly do with that except solicit me for drugs?

Yes, the lawsuits would be the main reason docs wouldn't sign on to this, not because of security risks. I mean honestly, people see your medical record whenever you go to a doc. Nurses do. They could easily just spread it word of mouth, but nobody cares enough to do so.

I think that as this becomes more popular more docs will start using it, though.

But PL, that's all fine and well...you're a young man. But what happens when you're older - imagine you're married and have just had your first kid - and you get turned down for life insurance because you've had depression? And if your health history is easily available to employers (illegally, perhaps...? Who's to know?), can they refuse to hire you because of your health history? Of course they would never say why you don't get the job. You would just have a hard time getting hired, and never know why.

The real problem here is insurance companies. What could you do if there was something in those records (e.g., depression) that prevents you from obtaining insurance or even employment?

lisab said:
But PL, that's all fine and well...you're a young man. But what happens when you're older - imagine you're married and have just had your first kid - and you get turned down for life insurance because you've had depression?

I'm moving out of the USA as soon as I can, hopefully for graduate school even. I am done with the BS here such as the incredible animosity towards science. Let the people here rot for all I care. When things change I can come back.

And if your health history is easily available to employers (illegally, perhaps...? Who's to know?), can they refuse to hire you because of your health history? Of course they would never say why you don't get the job. You would just have a hard time getting hired, and never know why.

Why would it be easily available to employers? Or anybody that I don't want having it? Easy system for preventing theft:

Doctor sends request to your Google Health account. You approve the request. Done. That means you get to choose who sees your stuff. A hassle? Not really, considering you have the internet on your frickin' phone these days. Give it a few more years and you'll have the internet on your socks.

This leaves the possibility of someone getting my password. But it doesn't matter, because someone could also get my SSN, my PIN, whatever. I've never had a problem with those, so I don't see why I would now.
The real problem here is insurance companies. What could you do if there was something in those records (e.g., depression) that prevents you from obtaining insurance or even employment?

Why would they see it?

Poop-Loops said:
Why would they see it?
Seriously, have you missed all of the stealing and hacking of records of huge financial institutions this past year? Can you imagine how many hackers are going to try to access this health site? Privacy policy "we won't sell your information" my a$$, that is not my concern, my concern is those files getting into someone's hands illegally, either by hackers, or a google employee being bought. Don't think it happens? Think again.

But go ahead. :uhh:

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:
I'm moving out of the USA as soon as I can, hopefully for graduate school even. I am done with the BS here such as the incredible animosity towards science. Let the people here rot for all I care. When things change I can come back.

Why would it be easily available to employers? Or anybody that I don't want having it? Easy system for preventing theft:

Doctor sends request to your Google Health account. You approve the request. Done. That means you get to choose who sees your stuff. A hassle? Not really, considering you have the internet on your frickin' phone these days. Give it a few more years and you'll have the internet on your socks.

This leaves the possibility of someone getting my password. But it doesn't matter, because someone could also get my SSN, my PIN, whatever. I've never had a problem with those, so I don't see why I would now.

Why would they see it?

I guess you have more trust than I have. I consider the net to be hackable.

I think there's going to be a generation gap on this issue - older people like me won't trust it; younger people like you will see it as convenience.

Like I've said before, as long as insurance companies can refuse to sell a person insurance for whatever reason they make up, I want my health info under wraps.

Microsoft has a similar program, Heathvault, but judging by the way they sold my browsing records when MSN was my ISP I wouldn't trust them.

http://www.healthvault.com/

Even a Hotmail account is a bad idea. Their security is lousy.

Evo said:
Privacy policy "we won't sell your information" my a$$, that is not my concern, my concern is those files getting into someone's hands illegally, either by hackers, or a google employee being bought. Don't think it happens? Think again.

But go ahead. :uhh:

What's stopping a nurse at the doctor's just taking the files? Or photocopying them? Or just passing the information via word of mouth?

And how exactly would a Google employee being bought do anything? They don't have access to it, either. Just because a Ford employee made your car doesn't mean he can get into it whenever he wants to.

I mean, I've never had any website where I buy stuff from get hacked, and I have my address and partial credit card info there. I can access my bank account online. I get all my FAFSA stuff done online. Never had a problem. And if it was that much of a problem, it would have been gone years ago.

But the number 1 reason? I just don't care. I fail to see how a single person could benefit from my medical history. And how would a company find out my history? "Oh hey Poop Loops, sit down let's interview. Oh, and give me a few weeks to hack into your GH account and see whether or not you are healthy enough to do physics."

A lot of insurance companies are playing "GOTCHA" with pre-existing conditions. If a person provides the information to an online service such as Google Health, or Healthvault, it is very easy to leave something out.

There are stories of people forgetting some trivial medical treatment or condition that later led to their policy being cancelled. It doesn't matter that the current treatment is for something totally unrelated to an overlooked, usually older medical treatment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/12/health/main3822197.shtml

Poop-Loops said:
What's stopping a nurse at the doctor's just taking the files? Or photocopying them? Or just passing the information via word of mouth?

And how exactly would a Google employee being bought do anything? They don't have access to it, either. Just because a Ford employee made your car doesn't mean he can get into it whenever he wants to.

I mean, I've never had any website where I buy stuff from get hacked, and I have my address and partial credit card info there. I can access my bank account online. I get all my FAFSA stuff done online. Never had a problem. And if it was that much of a problem, it would have been gone years ago.

But the number 1 reason? I just don't care. I fail to see how a single person could benefit from my medical history. And how would a company find out my history? "Oh hey Poop Loops, sit down let's interview. Oh, and give me a few weeks to hack into your GH account and see whether or not you are healthy enough to do physics."
You do what ever you are comfortable with.

You really believe that no employees of google can access those records?

You wouldn't believe what I have access to in my job, sure I'm bonded, I'm under federal Government non-disclosure, Homeland Security clearance, etc...

You have never read about the creeps that sold lists of undercover agents to the Soviets that got all of the agents murdered? You aren't aware of the big financial institutions that recently had ther client databases stolen?

These are only google employees.

If you feel ok with it, go ahead. I don't care what you do.

Last edited:
Google has been pretty good so far imposing tools that everybody eventually uses. Just as others did in the past with similar success.

Not convinced either way here.

Evo said:
You do what ever you are comfortable with.

You really believe that no employees of google can access those records?

You wouldn't believe what I have access to in my job, sure I'm bonded, I'm under federal Government non-disclosure, Homeland Security clearance, etc...

You have never read about the creeps that sold lists of undercover agents to the Soviets that got all of the agents murdered? You aren't aware of the big financial institutions that recently had ther client databases stolen?

These are only google employees.

If you feel ok with it, go ahead. I don't care what you do.

Look Evo, your arguments are completely invalid so long as you don't address the fact that nurses and doctors have access to your files and can screw you over just as easily, but never do. You're telling me a nurse is somehow above such things? No, I think it's simply a case of "I don't care enough to do it."

Poop-Loops said:
Look Evo, your arguments are completely invalid so long as you don't address the fact that nurses and doctors have access to your files and can screw you over just as easily, but never do. You're telling me a nurse is somehow above such things? No, I think it's simply a case of "I don't care enough to do it."
A nurse in a tiny doctor's office has limited access to patients within their practice, it wouldn't make much sense to try to buy people at thousands of small offices for tidbits of information, they'd (the person trying to get the information) be reported and arrested pretty soon. I didn't think that I would have to make something that obvious clear to you.

But when you can get to a couple of people with access to millions of files, not from just one doctor's office, but of ALL records from all doctors, hospitals, etc... THAT is where your problem is going to be.

Poop-Loops said:

Quite frankly, there's less financial incentive for a nurse to break the law (and lose all possibility of employment in the healthcare field ever again) by giving information to insurance companies. If insurance companies drop claims and refuse payment because of information received from the doctor's office, the doctor's office isn't going to get paid. There's no incentive for a Google employee or internet hacker who has no vested interest in being paid by an insurance company not to sell the information that would get your coverage dropped.

History of depression that you've mentioned above is actually a good reason for an insurance company to deny you new coverage should you ever have a gap in coverage. Depression is expensive to treat for insurance companies. Or, if they see that testicular torsion in your records and you find yourself needing to get fertility treatment with a future wife, they could deny the claim based on that history...even if it's not directly related, they could say it is possible. Or, a future employer might see a long history of health claims and wonder if you're going to be out sick a lot and maybe decide not to hire you because of that (and as was mentioned above, if you have no control of where that information is or who is seeing it, you may never know what their reason is for not hiring you). There is just too much incentive for someone to get their hands on that sort of database with information on that number of people (hundreds of thousands is worth the effort and risk, a few hundred in a small doctor's office isn't).

Moonbear said:
insurance company
[...]
future employer
If an insurance or future employer could get their hands on my email account, I'm not sure they would consider myself the same way :rolleyes:

I do bank transactions online and I do government related stuff such as applying for financial aid online. If they can do it securely, then I don't see why Google would just drop the ball.

1. How will Google Health impact the online healthcare industry?

Google Health has the potential to be a game-changer for the online healthcare industry by providing access to a wide range of health information and services. This can improve communication between patients and healthcare providers, increase efficiency in managing health records, and potentially reduce healthcare costs.

2. What features does Google Health offer?

Google Health offers a variety of features such as personalized health information, virtual consultations with healthcare professionals, medication reminders, and fitness tracking. It also has partnerships with healthcare organizations and providers to offer access to medical records and lab results.

3. Is Google Health secure?

Google Health is committed to maintaining the security and privacy of user data. It adheres to strict security protocols and uses encryption to protect sensitive information. Users also have control over what data is shared and with whom.

4. Can Google Health replace traditional healthcare services?

While Google Health offers convenient and accessible healthcare services, it cannot replace traditional healthcare services entirely. It can complement traditional healthcare by providing additional resources and support, but it is not a substitute for in-person medical care.

5. How can Google Health improve patient outcomes?

Google Health can improve patient outcomes by providing personalized and evidence-based health information, encouraging proactive healthcare management, and facilitating communication between patients and healthcare providers. It can also help identify potential health issues early on and promote preventive care.