Google health

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
"Privacy fears over NHS database"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4392555.stm

It seems a big issue .. but like all other people around me, I rely heavily on the net ;)

Evo
Mentor
What's stopping a nurse at the doctor's just taking the files? Or photocopying them? Or just passing the information via word of mouth?

And how exactly would a Google employee being bought do anything? They don't have access to it, either. Just because a Ford employee made your car doesn't mean he can get into it whenever he wants to.

I mean, I've never had any website where I buy stuff from get hacked, and I have my address and partial credit card info there. I can access my bank account online. I get all my FAFSA stuff done online. Never had a problem. And if it was that much of a problem, it would have been gone years ago.

But the number 1 reason? I just don't care. I fail to see how a single person could benefit from my medical history. And how would a company find out my history? "Oh hey Poop Loops, sit down let's interview. Oh, and give me a few weeks to hack into your GH account and see whether or not you are healthy enough to do physics."
You do what ever you are comfortable with.

You really believe that no employees of google can access those records?

You wouldn't believe what I have access to in my job, sure I'm bonded, I'm under federal Government non-disclosure, Homeland Security clearance, etc...

You have never read about the creeps that sold lists of undercover agents to the Soviets that got all of the agents murdered? You aren't aware of the big financial institutions that recently had ther client databases stolen?

These are only google employees.

If you feel ok with it, go ahead. I don't care what you do.

Last edited:
Google has been pretty good so far imposing tools that everybody eventually uses. Just as others did in the past with similar success.

Not convinced either way here.

You do what ever you are comfortable with.

You really believe that no employees of google can access those records?

You wouldn't believe what I have access to in my job, sure I'm bonded, I'm under federal Government non-disclosure, Homeland Security clearance, etc...

You have never read about the creeps that sold lists of undercover agents to the Soviets that got all of the agents murdered? You aren't aware of the big financial institutions that recently had ther client databases stolen?

These are only google employees.

If you feel ok with it, go ahead. I don't care what you do.

Look Evo, your arguments are completely invalid so long as you don't address the fact that nurses and doctors have access to your files and can screw you over just as easily, but never do. You're telling me a nurse is somehow above such things? No, I think it's simply a case of "I don't care enough to do it."

Evo
Mentor
Look Evo, your arguments are completely invalid so long as you don't address the fact that nurses and doctors have access to your files and can screw you over just as easily, but never do. You're telling me a nurse is somehow above such things? No, I think it's simply a case of "I don't care enough to do it."
A nurse in a tiny doctor's office has limited access to patients within their practice, it wouldn't make much sense to try to buy people at thousands of small offices for tidbits of information, they'd (the person trying to get the information) be reported and arrested pretty soon. I didn't think that I would have to make something that obvious clear to you.

But when you can get to a couple of people with access to millions of files, not from just one doctor's office, but of ALL records from all doctors, hospitals, etc... THAT is where your problem is going to be.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Quite frankly, there's less financial incentive for a nurse to break the law (and lose all possibility of employment in the healthcare field ever again) by giving information to insurance companies. If insurance companies drop claims and refuse payment because of information received from the doctor's office, the doctor's office isn't going to get paid. There's no incentive for a Google employee or internet hacker who has no vested interest in being paid by an insurance company not to sell the information that would get your coverage dropped.

History of depression that you've mentioned above is actually a good reason for an insurance company to deny you new coverage should you ever have a gap in coverage. Depression is expensive to treat for insurance companies. Or, if they see that testicular torsion in your records and you find yourself needing to get fertility treatment with a future wife, they could deny the claim based on that history...even if it's not directly related, they could say it is possible. Or, a future employer might see a long history of health claims and wonder if you're going to be out sick a lot and maybe decide not to hire you because of that (and as was mentioned above, if you have no control of where that information is or who is seeing it, you may never know what their reason is for not hiring you). There is just too much incentive for someone to get their hands on that sort of database with information on that number of people (hundreds of thousands is worth the effort and risk, a few hundred in a small doctor's office isn't).

insurance company
[...]
future employer
If an insurance or future employer could get their hands on my email account, I'm not sure they would consider myself the same way :rolleyes:

I do bank transactions online and I do government related stuff such as applying for financial aid online. If they can do it securely, then I don't see why Google would just drop the ball.