Gps, Mobile phones microwaves and radiowaves

In summary: EMF radiation. Noise and digital modulation are big (related) issues. I don't think it's a matter of the frequencies used; I think it is a difference in power of the signal. GPS signals have to come all the way from the sattelite to the Earth, cell phones and radios only have to make it from the tower to where you are. National and international agreements are necessary for the use of different frequencies to avoid inteference...and signal characteristics have pros and cons in different applications...
SciencePF
Hello, friends!
I've google about the question below but no success!
The question is:

Gps signals inside buildings are nonexistent or very weak, but mobile phone and am and fm radio signals are good, so the question is: why gps satellites and mobile phone comunications don't use emission on the radiowave band, which is less dangerous for our health.

TIA

Science news on Phys.org
I suspect that GPS needs a higher frequency because of the accuracy of the signal, but it is still in the radio wave part of the spectrum. As are cell phone signals.

Also, there really aren't any health issues here.

Also, noise and digital modulation are big (related) issues.

I donn't think it's a matter of the frequencies used; I think it is a difference in power of the signal. GPS signals have to come all the way from the sattelite to the Earth, cell phones and radios only have to make it from the tower to where you are.

National and international agreements are necessary for the use of different frequencies to avoid inteference...and signal characteristics have pros and cons in different applications...
see http://www.mlesat.com/Article9.html

for additional information...note satellites are allocated Ka, Ku, and C bands...and only so much spectrum is available.

SciencePF said:
Gps signals inside buildings are nonexistent or very weak, but mobile phone and am and fm radio signals are good, so the question is: why gps satellites and mobile phone comunications don't use emission on the radiowave band, which is less dangerous for our health.

Partly it's the frequency - in general lower frequency (longer wavelengths) penetrate further.
AM radio has the lowest frequency <0.5MHz and penetrates furthest, FM at 100MHz less far.
Mobile phones use 900 or 1800MHz and only go a short distance into a building depending on the construction. But mobile phones are relatively powerful signals.

GPS uses 1500MHz so has similair characteristics to a cell phone but much lower power. It also relies on accurately measuring the signal from a number of satelites to get a position which is difficult if some signals are reflected or blocked.
A phone conversation is intelligible even with very poor signal to noise.

Cell phones, bluetooth, and Wifi are all in the microwave band,

Last edited:

What is GPS and how does it work?

GPS stands for Global Positioning System, which is a network of satellites that orbit the Earth and transmit signals to GPS receivers on the ground. These receivers use the signals to determine their location and provide accurate navigation information.

How do mobile phones use microwaves?

Mobile phones use microwaves to transmit and receive signals to and from cell towers. The microwaves are able to carry information, such as voice and data, through the air to allow communication between mobile devices.

What are the potential health effects of exposure to microwaves and radiowaves?

The majority of scientific studies have found no adverse health effects from exposure to microwaves and radiowaves at levels typically encountered in everyday life. However, high levels of exposure, such as those found in occupational settings, may cause tissue heating and other harmful effects.

How do microwaves and radiowaves differ?

Microwaves and radiowaves are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, but they differ in their frequencies and wavelengths. Microwaves have a higher frequency and shorter wavelength than radiowaves, which allows them to carry more information over shorter distances.

Can microwaves and radiowaves be harmful to electronic devices?

In general, microwaves and radiowaves are not harmful to electronic devices because they are designed to operate within these frequencies. However, high levels of exposure, such as from a powerful radio transmitter, may cause interference or damage to electronic devices.