GR- effective potential, maximum attainable radius

In summary, there is a maximum value for the radius, which can be attained by setting the derivative of r to 0 and solving for the values of J and K. However, it is unclear how the maximum is attainable and when it would not be attainable. The notes mention a similar concept with the Schwarzschild metric, where a particle can have a circular orbit at a minimum radius, but it is also possible for the particle to have a non-circular orbit or to not have a maximum radius at all. It is unclear why this is called a minimum radius and what the difference is between a maximum radius and a bound orbit. The comment about the cubic equation being unsolvable may also be relevant, but
binbagsss

Homework Statement

part d) from the following question please

vrq.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
sol attached
vrsol.jpg

So I see that the idea is that it is a maximum so to set ##\dot{r}=0## and then the maximum value is dependent on some values of J and K, to get the equation. But I'm totally confused as to :
- how we have showed it is attainable? (when would it not be attainable).

I've tried to look at my notes, and apologies for the length of the question this will add, but I'm just trying to compare and work out what to do. So my notes work with the Schwarzschild metric the following sketch:

vreff.png

with the following comments:
The behavior of the particle depends on the value of the energy K. For example, if K is such that the particle sits exactly at the bottom, then we have a circular orbit with radius rc (case A).If we now increase the energy a little bit, then r can vary, and we have a non-circular orbit. If we increase the energy still further, then its a bit different – it is no longer a bound orbit, instead theparticle comes in from infinity, comes up to a minimum radius rmin, and then goes out again; note there is no maximum r any more (case C)

Okay so in particular from this:
1) why is this called a minum radius , and it says there is no maximum. I understand that ##K## is such that it can only come up to this radius and no further, but I'm unsurre why you'd call it a minimum or a maximum.
2) the above question says an 'attainable maximum'. I thought perhaps the ideas where similar with the mimum radius for this one- there is no bound orbit, for some ##K## and ##J## as given by the equation above in the solution but here instead it is talking a 'maximum' radius. what is the difference? is it due to the shape of the potential?
is the comment 'cubic can't be solved ' relevant? if so, how?

quite stuck..many thanks for any help.

Attachments

• vrsol.jpg
    vrsol.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 761
  • vrq.png
    vrq.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 756
  • vreff.png
    vreff.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 649
Physics news on Phys.org
bump
many thanks

1. What is the GR-effective potential?

The GR-effective potential is a mathematical concept in general relativity that describes the potential energy of a particle in a gravitational field. It takes into account both the effects of gravity and the effects of the particle's own energy and momentum on its motion.

2. How is the GR-effective potential calculated?

The GR-effective potential is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime due to the presence of matter and energy. This calculation can be complex and often requires advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What is the significance of the maximum attainable radius?

The maximum attainable radius is a key concept in general relativity and describes the point at which a particle's motion is no longer affected by the gravitational field. This radius is important for understanding the behavior of particles near massive objects such as black holes.

4. Can the maximum attainable radius be calculated for any gravitational field?

In theory, the maximum attainable radius can be calculated for any gravitational field using the GR-effective potential. However, the complexity of the calculations may make it difficult to determine the exact value in some cases.

5. How does the GR-effective potential impact our understanding of gravity?

The GR-effective potential is a crucial component of general relativity, which is our current best theory for understanding the nature of gravity. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in strong gravitational fields, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.