GR - Find the orbit of the planet

In summary, the planet is in a potential field corresponding to the metric using the weak field approximation.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the orbit of a planet in a grav. field corresponding to the metric

[tex]d\tau^2=(1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2))dt^2-(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)[/tex]

in the Newtonian limit with the initial conditions at t=0, x=R, dx/dt=[itex]\beta[/itex],0=y=z=dy/dt=dz/dt where alpha and beta are cositive constants.

Homework Equations

The Levi-Civita connexion and the geodesic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculates the connexion coefficients and wrote down the 4 geodesic equations with the proper time as the parameter:

[tex]\frac{d^2t}{d\tau^2}+\frac{2\alpha^2x}{(1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2))} \frac{dt}{d\tau}\frac{dx}{d\tau}+\frac{2\alpha^2y}{(1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2))}\frac{dt}{d\tau}\frac{dy}{d\tau}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{d\tau^2}+\alpha^2x\left(\frac{dt}{d\tau}\right)^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{d\tau^2}+\alpha^2y\left(\frac{dt}{d\tau}\right)^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2z}{d\tau^2}=0[/tex]

I can solve the 4th equation of course:

[tex]z(\tau)=a\tau +b[/tex]

and if I understand correctly, the Newtonian limit means that

[tex]\frac{dx^i}{d\tau}<<\frac{dt}{d\tau}[/tex]

But I don't see how that can be applied here to simplify the equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:

Homework Statement

Find the orbit of a planet in a grav. field corresponding to the metric

[tex]d\tau^2=(1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2))dt^2-(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)[/tex]

in the Newtonian limit with the initial conditions at t=0, x=R, dx/dt=[itex]\beta[/itex],0=y=z=dy/dt=dz/dt where alpha and beta are cositive constants.

Homework Equations

The Levi-Civita connexion and the geodesic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculates the connexion coefficients and wrote down the 4 geodesic equations with the proper time as the parameter:

[tex]\frac{d^2t}{d\tau^2}+\frac{2\alpha^2x}{(1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2))} \frac{dt}{d\tau}\frac{dx}{d\tau}+\frac{2\alpha^2y}{(1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2))}\frac{dt}{d\tau}\frac{dy}{d\tau}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{d\tau^2}+\alpha^2x\left(\frac{dt}{d\tau}\right)^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{d\tau^2}+\alpha^2y\left(\frac{dt}{d\tau}\right)^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2z}{d\tau^2}=0[/tex]

I can solve the 4th equation of course:

[tex]z(\tau)=a\tau +b[/tex]

and if I understand correctly, the Newtonian limit means that

[tex]\frac{dx^i}{d\tau}<<\frac{dt}{d\tau}[/tex]

But I don't see how that can be applied here to simplify the equations.

In the Newtonian limit you can set t = tau so [itex] \frac{dt}{d \tau} = 1 [/itex].

And, of course, [itex] \frac{d^2t}{d \tau^2} =0 [/itex].
So the equations become trivial to solve.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

[tex]d\tau^2=g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}[/tex]

And here, [itex]g_{ii}=-1[/itex], [itex]g_{00}=1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2)[/itex] so

[tex]d\tau^2=(g_{00}-(dx/dt)^2-(dy/dt)^2-(dz/dt)^2)dt^2[/tex]

and in the small speed limit, this only reduces to

[tex]d\tau^2\approx g_{00}dt^2[/tex]

which is not just dtau=dt because g00 is not just 1.

quasar987 said:
Are you sure?

[tex]d\tau^2=g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}[/tex]

And here, [itex]g_{ii}=-1[/itex], [itex]g_{00}=1+\alpha^2(x^2+y^2)[/itex] so

[tex]d\tau^2=(g_{00}-(dx/dt)^2-(dy/dt)^2-(dz/dt)^2)dt^2[/tex]

and in the small speed limit, this only reduces to

[tex]d\tau^2\approx g_{00}dt^2[/tex]

which is not just dtau=dt because g00 is not just 1.

You are right. Sorry, I had misread the spacetime interval and thought that the (1+alpha^2(x^2+y^2)) term went with the spatial part. So you have an expression for dt/dtau to replace in all the equations. Using the chain rule you can also get an expression for the second derivative d^2 t/dtau^2.

Sorry for my mistake.

Use the weak-field approximation, which gives a straight Newtonian potential of -
[tex] - \frac{1}{2}c^2( 1 + g_{00})[/tex]

You can derive this by assuming the

[tex] g_{ij} = \eta_{ij} + h_{ij} [/tex] where [tex] \eta[/tex] is the flat space metric and h
is a small perturbation.

Last edited:

1. What is GR and how does it relate to finding the orbit of a planet?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein to explain the force of gravity. This theory takes into account the curvature of space and time to describe the motion of objects in the presence of massive bodies, such as planets. By using GR, scientists can accurately calculate and predict the orbit of a planet around a star.

2. How is the orbit of a planet determined using GR?

The orbit of a planet is determined using a mathematical equation called the geodesic equation, which is derived from the principles of GR. This equation takes into account the mass and distance of the planet and the star it is orbiting, as well as the curvature of space and time caused by the star's gravitational field. By solving this equation, scientists can determine the exact path that the planet will follow in its orbit.

3. Can GR be used to calculate the orbit of any planet?

Yes, GR can be used to calculate the orbit of any planet. This theory is a fundamental part of modern astrophysics and has been successfully used to predict the orbits of planets in our solar system as well as in other galaxies. However, for extremely large or massive objects, such as black holes, other theories may need to be used in conjunction with GR to accurately calculate their orbits.

4. How accurate are the predictions of GR for planetary orbits?

GR has been extensively tested and its predictions have been confirmed to be extremely accurate. In fact, the orbit of Mercury, which was previously unexplainable using Newton's theory of gravity, was accurately predicted by GR. Additionally, various space missions and observations have confirmed the accuracy of GR in predicting the orbits of planets in our solar system and beyond.

5. Are there any limitations to using GR to calculate planetary orbits?

While GR is a powerful theory that accurately describes the motion of objects in the presence of gravity, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics or other forces, such as electromagnetism. In extreme scenarios, such as near the event horizon of a black hole, other theories may need to be used in conjunction with GR to fully understand the behavior of objects in orbit.