GR, small expansion, (perihelion derivation)

In summary, the conversation is about a derivation where the speaker is stuck on how to go from equation 18 to 19. They mention trying to expand sine in a Taylor series and using a cosine trigonometric identity, but are unsure how this applies since the lambda variable is small and not phi. Alternate hints are given to consider expanding cosine as a Taylor series and approximating cosine and sine.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi I am looking at the attached as part of the derivation and am stuck on how we go from 18 to 19

IMG_1214.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

Above below

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm pretty stuck. Lambda is small and not sin so can't see why one would expand out sine in a Taylor, though this seems to be one of the only possibilities I can see and then using a cosines trigomemtric identity, think this would also need expanding out both sin and cos as functions off phi And then regathering for the use of the cosine identity. However as I said small lambda not phi so don't really understand

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use a trigonometric identity.

Orodruin said:
Hint: Use a trigonometric identity.
My attempt mentioned this. So it's not cos ( a + b ) ? As I've said above, we are expanding small lambda not phi, so don't really understand how this would apply. Ta .

binbagsss said:
So it's not cos ( a + b ) ? As I've said above, we are expanding small lambda not phi, so don't really understand how this would apply.
Yes it is. You only expand the functions where the phase is multiplied by ##\lambda##.

binbagsss said:
[...] small lambda not phi so don't really understand

Alternate hint #1: To see that (18) does indeed imply (19), expand the cos in (19) as a Taylor series in ##\lambda##.

Alternate hint #2: If you didn't already know (19), do as Orodruin suggested, and then consider ##~\cos(\lambda) \approx ~?~## and ##~\sin(\lambda) \approx ~?~##.

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of General Relativity (GR)?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects in the universe interact with each other and how the fabric of space and time is affected by these interactions.

2. How does GR explain the small expansion of the universe?

GR explains the small expansion of the universe through the concept of the cosmological constant, which is a term in Einstein's equations that accounts for the repulsive force of dark energy. This force counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the universe to expand at an accelerated rate.

3. What is the perihelion derivation in GR?

The perihelion derivation is a phenomenon predicted by GR that explains the slight shift in the orbit of a planet around the sun. This shift is caused by the curvature of space-time around the sun, which alters the planet's trajectory.

4. How is GR different from Newton's theory of gravity?

GR is different from Newton's theory of gravity in that it takes into account the curvature of space-time, while Newton's theory assumes that gravity is a force acting between masses. GR also predicts the existence of black holes, gravitational waves, and the expansion of the universe, which are not explained by Newton's theory.

5. What evidence supports the validity of GR?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the validity of GR, including the accurate prediction of the perihelion shift of Mercury, the bending of light around massive objects, and the observation of gravitational waves. Additionally, GR has been extensively tested and validated through numerous experiments and observations.