Grad school for geophysics/physics

In summary, the conversation is about a physics major who is deciding between pursuing a graduate degree in physics or geophysics. They have talked to a professor who suggested getting a geology minor and are concerned about not being able to take Quantum II if they do so. They are unsure if Quantum II is necessary for physics grad school if they plan on doing research in geophysics. They also mention their interest in seismology and their current coursework in geology.
jbrussell93
I'm a physics major who's interested in geophysics. I'm planning to go to graduate school for either physics or geophysics, but I seem to be leaning more towards physics. I've got a year or so to figure this out so I've been talking to professors, one of which is a physics PhD in the geology department. He suggested that I go for a geology minor regardless so that's what I've been shooting for. The problem is, I probably won't be able to take quantum II (second half of Griffiths) if I go through with the minor. I'm worried that without quantum II, I'll be less competitive for physics grad programs, but without the geology minor I won't be as competitive for geophysics programs. Is having quantum II as an undergrad necessary for physics grad school even if I'm going to do research in geophysics?

Appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
One should talk to one's faculty members and ask them about QM II.

Griffith's PART II: Applications would seem important if one goes into a graduate program

Time-Independent Perturbation Theory
The Variational Principle
The WKB Approximation
Time Dependent Perturbation Theory
The Adiabatic Approximation
Scattering

If one plans on Geophysics, then coursework in geology would seem important. What is one's background in geology, and what is one's interest in geophysics?

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly be talking with my adviser about the best way to go about this. I guess I just wasn't sure if Quantum II is really that important in my case. Definitely for condensed matter, optics, etc but geophysics I'm not so sure. I know that it wouldn't be necessary if I apply to geophysics programs but I feel as though physics programs would like to see quantum II.

Actually, many people in my physics program don't end up taking QM II... It counts as a capstone course but most people just go with a research capstone instead. I'd like to do both.

Astronuc said:
If one plans on Geophysics, then coursework in geology would seem important. What is one's background in geology, and what is one's interest in geophysics?

I'm in my first physical geology course at the moment, and I would have to take 4 more classes for the minor. I'm interested in seismology mainly among other things which I'm still being introduced to.

1. What is the difference between geophysics and physics?

Geophysics is a branch of physics that specifically focuses on the study of the Earth and its physical properties. Physics, on the other hand, is a broader field that encompasses the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Geophysics uses principles and theories from physics to understand the Earth's structure and processes.

2. What are the requirements for admission into a graduate program in geophysics/physics?

The specific requirements may vary between universities, but typically a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, geology, or mathematics is required. Most programs also require strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and/or relevant research experience.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in geophysics/physics?

Graduates with a degree in geophysics/physics have a wide range of career opportunities. They can work in industries such as oil and gas, mining, environmental consulting, and renewable energy. They can also pursue careers in research and academia, working for universities, government agencies, or private research institutions.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program in geophysics/physics?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the specific program and whether the student is pursuing a master's or a doctoral degree. On average, a master's program can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral program can take 4-6 years. The time frame can also be affected by the student's research progress and whether they choose to complete a thesis or a non-thesis option.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a graduate program in geophysics/physics?

A graduate program in geophysics/physics will provide you with a strong foundation in fundamental physics principles and their application to the Earth. You will also gain skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Additionally, you will gain practical experience through hands-on research projects and have the opportunity to develop specialized skills in areas such as seismology, mineral physics, or geodynamics.