Grad School or Experiences: Pros/Cons for Biochem Major

In summary: That might work, too. In summary, if you want to continue your studies, taking a year or two off to do some things you want to do is okay, but make sure you have a plan to keep your skills up to date.
ColtonCM
I'm a third year biochemistry major, minoring in mathematics and physics. When I finish this degree I'm going a cheaper public university to finish either an astronomy or physics degree because I think I want to do something solar-system related in terms of industry and/or research.

But there are also several other things I want to do while I'm still relatively young. The first is spend a year teaching English in Japan (I studied abroad there for a semester and absolutely loved it). The second thing I would like to do is become a member of the Peace Corps or similar organization and dedicate at least two years to some cause elsewhere in the world, in a developing nation.

My only concern is that this would set me back three years on graduate school. What are the pros/cons of this? I want the experiences above to enrich myself as a person and gain a greater understanding of the world outside of science and mathematics.

Thanks,

Colton

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what is important is that...
when you begin your graduate studies, you are prepared to dedicate your focus on them.

Taking a year off, maybe two is okay. Three is pushing it a little bit. By that time, people on graduate admissions committees will begin to wonder what you've been doing to keep your knowledge base and skills up to date. And your references might start to get out of date. It's important to take the time to do the things you want to do with your life, though. The key is that you need to have a plan for handling these issues.

Choppy said:
Taking a year off, maybe two is okay. Three is pushing it a little bit. By that time, people on graduate admissions committees will begin to wonder what you've been doing to keep your knowledge base and skills up to date. And your references might start to get out of date. It's important to take the time to do the things you want to do with your life, though. The key is that you need to have a plan for handling these issues.

What if, to counteract what you just mentioned, I do those free (or almost free) online courses where they give out those certificates of completion just to show that I've been maintaining an active knowledge base in science and mathematics?

1. What are the advantages of going to grad school for a biochemistry major?

Grad school offers advanced training and specialized knowledge in the field of biochemistry, which can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries. It also provides opportunities for hands-on research experience and networking with professionals in the field.

2. What are the disadvantages of going to grad school for a biochemistry major?

Grad school can be financially and emotionally taxing, as it often requires a significant time commitment and may involve taking on student loans. It can also delay entry into the workforce and may not guarantee a job after graduation.

3. How do I decide if grad school is the right choice for me as a biochemistry major?

Consider your career goals and whether a graduate degree is necessary to achieve them. Research potential programs and talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the pros and cons. Take into account your personal and financial circumstances as well.

4. What are some alternative experiences or opportunities for biochemistry majors instead of grad school?

Some alternative options for biochemistry majors include internships, research assistant positions, and job opportunities in the industry. These experiences can provide practical skills and real-world experience, and may also lead to job offers after graduation.

5. How can I make the most out of my grad school experience as a biochemistry major?

To make the most out of your grad school experience, make connections with professors and peers, participate in research projects, and take advantage of networking opportunities. Also, prioritize self-care and time management to avoid burnout and make the most of your education.