What Are Your Real Experiences in Grad School?

In summary, the conversation was about grad school experiences and expectations. The speaker mentioned that they have had interesting and thought-provoking conversations with numerous grad students and asked about others' experiences in grad school. They also shared their own experience of initially struggling but ultimately doing well in their field of study, Cryptography, with a focus on Homomorphic Encryptions.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Now I am sure many of you are grad students or have experience being a grad student. I would like to start this thread as a discussion about grad school and your experiences as a grad student. From my conversations with numerous grad students I gained many life experiences, how people think in grad school, what are the things that they expect to do after graduating, whether they are happy being in grad school and all these conversations have been interesting and thought provoking.

So how are you guys finding grad school? For me it wasn't easy especially during the first few semesters where I thought I wouldn't get through it. But things have changed and upto now I am doing reasonably good (not exceptional but good). :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
For me it wasn't easy especially during the first few semesters where I thought I wouldn't get through it. But things have changed and upto now I am doing reasonably good (not exceptional but good). :)

Congratulations! What is your field of study?

evinda said:
Congratulations! What is your field of study?

Thank you. I am doing Cryptography and currently in the final few semesters of my masters. I am focused on Homomorphic Encryptions (fully homomorphic encryptions) specifically. :)

1. What is the most challenging aspect of graduate school?

The most challenging aspect of graduate school varies for each individual, but some common challenges include managing a heavy workload, balancing research and coursework, and dealing with imposter syndrome.

2. How do you balance your research and coursework?

Balancing research and coursework can be a difficult task, but effective time management and prioritization are key. Setting specific goals and deadlines for both research and coursework can also help keep you on track.

3. How do you handle the pressure and stress of graduate school?

Graduate school can be a stressful experience, but finding healthy ways to cope with pressure and stress is important. This can include exercise, talking to friends or family, seeking support from a therapist, or taking breaks when needed.

4. What advice do you have for new graduate students?

One piece of advice for new graduate students is to establish a good relationship with your advisor and communicate openly. It's also important to take care of yourself and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

5. How has your graduate school experience prepared you for your career?

Graduate school provides a unique opportunity to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management skills, which are valuable in any career. Additionally, the research experience gained in graduate school can be directly applied to many careers in academia, industry, or government.