Choosing a Postdoc: University Reputation or Supervisor Prestige?

In summary, the person is facing a difficult decision between taking the GRE exams and studying in the USA or accepting an offer to study in Europe with two famous and kind professors. They have a master's degree in theoretical physics and score around 880 on practice GRE tests. However, they have been doing research for over a year and working with these professors would lead to immediate publication opportunities. They are also very famous in the field of string theory and have collaborations with other famous individuals. The person is wondering if for a postdoctoral position, it is more important to have a famous university or a famous supervisor.

Go for famous university name or famous supervisor?

• University

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supervisor

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
llorgos
Hello,

I am facing a difficult dilemma. I am between taking the GRE exams and go study in USA and at the same time I am holding an offer in studying in Europe at a relatively new university but with two very famous and kind professors.

On one hand, holding a master in theoretical physics, and after having taken various practice tests I score around 880 in GRE. This does not guarantee enrollment in a good university or even working with such a famous and nice supervisor nor working in the specific field of interest.

On the other hand I have already been doing research the past 1+ year and going to work with these two guys would set me in a publication course immediately. Furthermore these guys are very very famous in the field (string theory) with collaborations with also very very famous people. They are also very helpful and kind and work exactly in what I am interested on working. Furthermore this place is close to home.

My question is for Postdoc what matters most? Famous University or Famous Supervisor?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess there are not too many of us being famous enough ;)

What is the difference between graduate university and a supervisor?

Graduate university refers to the institution where a student is enrolled in a graduate program, while a supervisor is an individual who oversees and guides the student's research and academic progress.

How do I choose between a graduate university and a supervisor?

It is important to consider both the reputation and research focus of the graduate university, as well as the expertise and availability of potential supervisors. It is also helpful to speak with current or former students to gain insight into their experiences.

Can I switch graduate universities while keeping the same supervisor?

In most cases, it is possible to switch graduate universities while maintaining the same supervisor. However, this decision should be discussed and agreed upon by both the student and supervisor, as well as the respective universities.

What role does a supervisor play in a graduate program?

A supervisor plays a crucial role in a graduate program by providing guidance, support, and mentorship to the student's research and academic development. They also serve as a primary point of contact for addressing any concerns or issues that may arise during the program.

Can I have multiple supervisors at a graduate university?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple supervisors at a graduate university, especially if the student's research project involves interdisciplinary or collaborative work. However, it is important to establish clear communication and expectations with all supervisors to ensure a smooth and productive working relationship.