Grade 12 Physics book for practice questions.

In summary, the conversation is about a student taking a correspondence grade 12 physics course and looking for additional practice materials to improve their understanding and confidence in the subject. They list the topics covered in the course and provide an example of the difficulty level of the material. They also ask if anyone has the answers to the "key questions" they will be graded on.
brianL2004
Hello!

I have started to take a correspondence grade 12 physics course from www.ilc.org (affiliated with Toronto District School Board).

After my first two weeks of working through the course I have covered Kinematics as well as Motion in Two Dimensions- Projectile Motion. My findings so far have been that practice materials in the textbook provided have been very light. The way that this course is graded is through a series of 'key questions.' Unfortunately, as I am solving these key questions (especially the ones that are math related) I am not very confident in my ability to get them right. I think that if I was able to solve more practice questions I would become more confident when solving the key questions, as well as gain a more lasting knowledge of the materials covered.

So in this light I would like to find a book that has lots of practice questions and full solutions (very important) for the material covered in this course. I was hoping that I could get some advice on that matter from this forum.

Topics covered in the course include:

Kinematics
Motion in Two Dimensions- Projectile Motion
Dynamics: Newtons Laws- Force and Motion
Circular Motion

Energy and its Forms
Simple Harmonic Motion
Momentum in One and Two Dimensions
Gravitation and Gravitational Fields

Electrostatics
Electric Fields, Potential, and Current
Magnetism
Applications of Electromagnetism

Properties of Waves
The Nature of Light
The Electromagnetic Spectrum
Applications of the properties of Light

Special Theory of Relativity
Early Quantum Mechanics
Nuclear Reactions and their applications
Elementary Particles

To give an example of the difficulty level of material covered in the unit that I am working on now, i will post the set of 'key questions' that I will be graded on.

1. A bird takes 8.5s to fly from position A to position B along the path shown in figure 2.17. (Figure 2.17 shows a curve with the instantaneous velocity of the bird at point A and point B) Determine the bird's average acceleration.

2. A child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18 m/s directly towards a tree, from a distance of 9.0m and a height above the ground of 1.5m.
a) after what interval does the snowball hit the tree?
b)At what height above the ground will the snowball hit the tree?
c)Determine the snowball's velocity as it strikes the tree.

3. In it's final trip upstream to its spawning territory a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall at 1.9m high. What is the minimum vertical velocity needed by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

4. A swimmer set out from the shores of New York and maintained a velocity of 4 m/s [N]. As the swimmer approached the ontario shore, she encountered a cross-current of 2 m/s (E25S). Calculate her velocity with respect to the crowd observing from the beach.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
brianL2004 said:
Hello!

I have started to take a correspondence grade 12 physics course from www.ilc.org (affiliated with Toronto District School Board).

After my first two weeks of working through the course I have covered Kinematics as well as Motion in Two Dimensions- Projectile Motion. My findings so far have been that practice materials in the textbook provided have been very light. The way that this course is graded is through a series of 'key questions.' Unfortunately, as I am solving these key questions (especially the ones that are math related) I am not very confident in my ability to get them right. I think that if I was able to solve more practice questions I would become more confident when solving the key questions, as well as gain a more lasting knowledge of the materials covered.

So in this light I would like to find a book that has lots of practice questions and full solutions (very important) for the material covered in this course. I was hoping that I could get some advice on that matter from this forum.

Topics covered in the course include:

Kinematics
Motion in Two Dimensions- Projectile Motion
Dynamics: Newtons Laws- Force and Motion
Circular Motion

Energy and its Forms
Simple Harmonic Motion
Momentum in One and Two Dimensions
Gravitation and Gravitational Fields

Electrostatics
Electric Fields, Potential, and Current
Magnetism
Applications of Electromagnetism

Properties of Waves
The Nature of Light
The Electromagnetic Spectrum
Applications of the properties of Light

Special Theory of Relativity
Early Quantum Mechanics
Nuclear Reactions and their applications
Elementary Particles

To give an example of the difficulty level of material covered in the unit that I am working on now, i will post the set of 'key questions' that I will be graded on.

1. A bird takes 8.5s to fly from position A to position B along the path shown in figure 2.17. (Figure 2.17 shows a curve with the instantaneous velocity of the bird at point A and point B) Determine the bird's average acceleration.

2. A child throws a snowball with a horizontal velocity of 18 m/s directly towards a tree, from a distance of 9.0m and a height above the ground of 1.5m.
a) after what interval does the snowball hit the tree?
b)At what height above the ground will the snowball hit the tree?
c)Determine the snowball's velocity as it strikes the tree.

3. In it's final trip upstream to its spawning territory a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall at 1.9m high. What is the minimum vertical velocity needed by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

4. A swimmer set out from the shores of New York and maintained a velocity of 4 m/s [N]. As the swimmer approached the ontario shore, she encountered a cross-current of 2 m/s (E25S). Calculate her velocity with respect to the crowd observing from the beach.

Thanks!
hi there brian! I was wondering if you have the answers to these questions! i am currently enrolled in ILC and i have to finish this course by april to get admission in SEPTEMBER.
Any help will be appreciated
thanks a lot
u can respond here or here is my email majid.munir@hotmail.com
Mohammad

1) What topics are covered in the Grade 12 Physics book for practice questions?

The Grade 12 Physics book for practice questions typically covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. It may also include sections on modern physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2) Are the practice questions in the book similar to those found in the actual Grade 12 Physics exam?

Yes, the practice questions in the Grade 12 Physics book are designed to be similar to those found in the actual exam. They are meant to test your understanding of the concepts and prepare you for the types of questions that may appear on the exam.

3) Can the Grade 12 Physics book be used as a standalone resource for studying for the exam?

No, the Grade 12 Physics book for practice questions should be used as a supplement to your textbook and class notes. It is meant to provide additional practice and reinforce your understanding of the material.

4) Are the practice questions in the book arranged by difficulty level?

Yes, the practice questions in the Grade 12 Physics book are typically arranged from easier to more challenging questions. This allows you to build your skills and confidence as you progress through the book.

5) Can the Grade 12 Physics book be used for self-study or is it best used with a teacher or tutor?

The Grade 12 Physics book can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor. They can provide additional explanations and help clarify any concepts that you may be struggling with.