Gradient of a scalar field

In summary: So \hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gradient of a given scalar field expressed in spherical coordinates in both cartesian and spherical coordinates. The equations for finding the gradient in both coordinate systems are provided and a student presents their attempts at solving the problem. After some small corrections, it is determined that the student's solutions are correct. The conversation ends with a question about the derivation of \hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}, which is explained as the unit vector pointing away from the origin.
hover

Homework Statement

Consider the scalar field

[tex] V = r^n , n ≠ 0[/tex]

expressed in spherical coordinates. Find it's gradient [itex]\nabla V[/itex] in
a.) cartesian coordinates
b.) spherical coordinates

Homework Equations

cartesian version:
[tex]\nabla V = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\hat{x} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial y}\hat{y} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat{z} [/tex]

spherical version:
[tex] \nabla V = \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\hat{r} + \frac{1}{r}*\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\hat{\phi} + \frac{1}{r*sin(\phi)}*\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta}\hat{\theta} [/tex]

conversion:
[tex] r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) using the third equation...

[tex] V = r^n = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{n}{2} [/tex]

using the first equation and skipping some steps involving the chain rule...
[tex] \nabla V = \frac{n(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{n}{2}} [/tex]

b.)Using the second equation
[tex] \nabla V = nr^m \hat{r} [/tex]
[tex]m = n-1[/tex]

Those are my two solutions to this problem. Are these right? Are they wrong? If so where did I go wrong?

Thanks!
hover

Physics news on Phys.org
How did the power n/2 wind up in the denominator?? You should be able to check that the solutions are the same pretty easily. What's [itex]\hat r[/itex] in cartesian coordinates?

Dick said:
How did the power n/2 wind up in the denominator?? You should be able to check that the solutions are the same pretty easily. What's [itex]\hat r[/itex] in cartesian coordinates?

Small mistake there... the denominator should be (n-2)/2 from the chain rule. I think that [itex]\hat r[/itex] in Cartesian coordinates is

[itex]\hat r[/itex] = sin([itex]\phi[/itex])[itex][/itex]*cos(θ)[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+sin([itex]\phi[/itex])*sin(θ)[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+cos([itex]\phi[/itex])[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

Is that right or am I completely off the mark?

hover said:
Small mistake there... the denominator should be (n-2)/2 from the chain rule. I think that [itex]\hat r[/itex] in Cartesian coordinates is

[itex]\hat r[/itex] = sin([itex]\phi[/itex])[itex][/itex]*cos(θ)[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+sin([itex]\phi[/itex])*sin(θ)[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+cos([itex]\phi[/itex])[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

Is that right or am I completely off the mark?

The power of r should be (n-2)/2=n/2-1 but it should be in the numerator. [itex]\hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}[/itex] is probably a more useful expression.

Dick said:
The power of r should be (n-2)/2=n/2-1 but it should be in the numerator. [itex]\hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}[/itex] is probably a more useful expression.

I plugged [itex]\hat r *r={x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}[/itex] into my first equation(with r on top and to the power of n/2-1) and I got the value from part b so I guess that these answers are correct. I just have one question. Where exactly did your version of [itex]\hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}[/itex] come from? I know this is probably simple but I want to understand where you got that equation from or how you derived it.

hover said:
I plugged [itex]\hat r *r={x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}[/itex] into my first equation(with r on top and to the power of n/2-1) and I got the value from part b so I guess that these answers are correct. I just have one question. Where exactly did your version of [itex]\hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}[/itex] come from? I know this is probably simple but I want to understand where you got that equation from or how you derived it.

[itex]\hat r[/itex] is a unit vector that points away from the origin. I took the point [itex] x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z[/itex] and subtracted [itex] 0 \hat x + 0 \hat y + 0 \hat z[/itex] to get a vector pointing away from the origin and divided by its length, [itex]r=\sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/itex].

Related to Gradient of a scalar field

1. What is the gradient of a scalar field?

The gradient of a scalar field is a vector field that represents the rate of change of the scalar field at every point in space. It is a measure of how quickly the scalar field changes and the direction in which it changes.

2. How is the gradient of a scalar field calculated?

The gradient of a scalar field is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the scalar field with respect to each variable in the coordinate system. This results in a vector with components equal to the partial derivatives.

3. What is the relationship between the gradient of a scalar field and its level curves?

The gradient of a scalar field is perpendicular to the level curves of the scalar field. This means that the direction of the gradient at any point is the direction in which the scalar field is changing the fastest.

4. What does the magnitude of the gradient of a scalar field represent?

The magnitude of the gradient of a scalar field represents the rate of change of the scalar field in the direction of the gradient. A larger magnitude indicates a steeper rate of change, while a smaller magnitude indicates a gentler rate of change.

5. What are some real-world applications of the gradient of a scalar field?

The gradient of a scalar field has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating the electric field in a region, determining the direction of steepest descent in a terrain, and creating realistic visual effects in video games and movies.