1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient of a scalar field

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the scalar field

[tex] V = r^n , n ≠ 0[/tex]

expressed in spherical coordinates. Find it's gradient [itex]\nabla V[/itex] in
    a.) cartesian coordinates
    b.) spherical coordinates

2. Relevant equations

cartesian version:
    [tex]\nabla V = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\hat{x} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial y}\hat{y} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat{z} [/tex]

spherical version:
    [tex] \nabla V = \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\hat{r} + \frac{1}{r}*\frac{\partial V}{\partial \phi}\hat{\phi} + \frac{1}{r*sin(\phi)}*\frac{\partial V}{\partial \theta}\hat{\theta} [/tex]

conversion:
    [tex] r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a.) using the third equation...

[tex] V = r^n = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{n}{2} [/tex]

using the first equation and skipping some steps involving the chain rule...
    [tex] \nabla V = \frac{n(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}+z\hat{z})}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^\frac{n}{2}} [/tex]

b.)Using the second equation
    [tex] \nabla V = nr^m \hat{r} [/tex]
    [tex]m = n-1[/tex]

Those are my two solutions to this problem. Are these right? Are they wrong? If so where did I go wrong?

Thanks!
    hover

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did the power n/2 wind up in the denominator?? You should be able to check that the solutions are the same pretty easily. What's [itex]\hat r[/itex] in cartesian coordinates?

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    Small mistake there... the denominator should be (n-2)/2 from the chain rule. I think that [itex]\hat r[/itex] in Cartesian coordinates is

[itex]\hat r[/itex] = sin([itex]\phi[/itex])[itex][/itex]*cos(θ)[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+sin([itex]\phi[/itex])*sin(θ)[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+cos([itex]\phi[/itex])[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]

Is that right or am I completely off the mark?

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The power of r should be (n-2)/2=n/2-1 but it should be in the numerator. [itex]\hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}[/itex] is probably a more useful expression.

6. Jan 31, 2012 #5
    I plugged [itex]\hat r *r={x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}[/itex] into my first equation(with r on top and to the power of n/2-1) and I got the value from part b so I guess that these answers are correct. I just have one question. Where exactly did your version of [itex]\hat r=\frac{x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z}{r}[/itex] come from? I know this is probably simple but I want to understand where you got that equation from or how you derived it.

7. Jan 31, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[itex]\hat r[/itex] is a unit vector that points away from the origin. I took the point [itex] x \hat x + y \hat y + z \hat z[/itex] and subtracted [itex] 0 \hat x + 0 \hat y + 0 \hat z[/itex] to get a vector pointing away from the origin and divided by its length, [itex]r=\sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook