Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1)

• Thread starter Geometrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary: The gradient can only be zero when x = -1 and y = 1. In summary, the direction to move from P(-1, 1) on the surface z = (y-x^2)^3 so that your height remains the same is the zero vector, as the gradient of the function at that point is also the zero vector.
Geometrick

Homework Statement

You are at P(-1,1) on the surface z = (y-x^2)^3. What direction should you move from P so that your height remains the same?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I basically do not want my height z to change. In this case, I will take a vector perpendicular to grad f(p), a simple computation shows that grad f(p) will be in the direction of <1,2>, so I take my direction v to be v = <-2, 1>.

I'm just wondering if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Geometrick said:

Homework Statement

You are at P(-1,1) on the surface z = (y-x^2)^3. What direction should you move from P so that your height remains the same?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I basically do not want my height z to change. In this case, I will take a vector perpendicular to grad f(p), a simple computation shows that grad f(p) will be in the direction of <1,2>, so I take my direction v to be v = <-2, 1>.

I'm just wondering if this is correct?
I think you have the basic idea down, but have made a mistake in the "simple" computation. At (-1, 1) the gradient of f is the zero vector. Both components of the gradient have factors of 3(y - x2)2. When x = -1, y = 1, this factor is 3(1 - (-1)2)2, or 0.

1. What is the Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1)?

The Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) refers to a mathematical concept where the slope or gradient of a function at a given point (P) is undefined or infinite. This can happen when there is a sharp or sudden change in the function at that point.

2. Why is the Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) important?

The Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) is important because it can affect the accuracy of mathematical models and calculations. It can also lead to difficulties in interpreting and analyzing data.

3. What are some causes of the Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1)?

The Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) can be caused by discontinuities, sharp turns, or points of inflection in a function. It can also occur when there are undefined or infinite values in the function.

4. How can the Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) be solved?

The Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) can be solved by carefully analyzing the function and identifying the source of the problem. In some cases, it may be possible to smooth out the function or approximate the gradient at the problematic point.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1)?

The Gradient Problem Move From P(-1,1) can occur in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is important to address this problem in order to accurately model and predict real-world phenomena, such as the behavior of stocks, the trajectory of a projectile, or the flow of fluids.