Graduate Research in Quantum Computation

In summary, there are several top graduate schools in the field of quantum computation, including MIT, Caltech, UC Santa Barbara, University of New Mexico, and UC Berkeley. Other schools with strong programs include UC Santa Barbara, University of Washington, University of Oregon, UC San Diego, and University of Southern California. There are also strong programs in Canada, such as the University of Waterloo with the Perimeter Institute. It may be helpful to consult with a researcher in the field or do some research on specific schools to find the best fit for your interests and goals.
americanforest
What graduate schools are the best if I want to pursue research in Quantum Computation? I know MIT has a good program and I am going to apply there but what other schools would you recommend? I would prefer to stay on this side of the Atlantic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this should be moved to the Academic Guidance section?

Anybody?

I only looked at West Coast schools when applying with an interest in quantum information theory last year, so this probably won't be that helpful to you.

This information is also highly dependent upon whether you want to do theory or experiment.

For theory, the top school (anywhere) is likely Caltech with its Institute for Quantum Information. Other schools with strong programs on the West Coast include UC Santa Barbara (look up Microsoft's Station Q), University of New Mexico, and UC Berkeley (only two profs). A number of other schools have at least one person doing quantum computing, although it may take a bit of Google magic to figure out who they since the field is so interdisciplinary and people work in many departments. These include University of Washington, University of Oregon, UC San Diego and University of Southern California. There might be a few that I'm missing, but I didn't consider any other programs.

I'm afraid I don't know very much about east coast programs. You pretty much need to either find a researcher in the field to consult, or type "school name quantum computing" into Google because you couldn't count on finding everyone linked to by department websites, if you could even figure out the departments ahead of time.

I do know that there are several strong programs in Canada. These include the University of Waterloo with the Perimeter Institute, and some others that I'm not recalling at the moment. Sorry, but I'm not too sure about east coast programs! (Except MIT, of course.)

What is quantum computation?

Quantum computation is a field of study that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and computer science to develop new algorithms and computing methods. It utilizes the principles of superposition and entanglement to perform calculations that are beyond the capabilities of classical computers.

What is the significance of graduate research in quantum computation?

Graduate research in quantum computation is important because it allows for the development and advancement of this emerging field. It also provides an opportunity for students to contribute to cutting-edge research and potentially make breakthroughs in the field.

What are some potential applications of quantum computation?

Quantum computation has the potential to revolutionize various industries, including cryptography, drug discovery, and artificial intelligence. It can also improve the efficiency of complex simulations and optimize financial portfolios.

What skills are necessary for graduate research in quantum computation?

Some essential skills for graduate research in quantum computation include a strong foundation in mathematics, computer science, and quantum mechanics. It is also helpful to have experience in programming and problem-solving.

What are some current challenges in quantum computation research?

One of the major challenges in quantum computation research is the development of error correction methods to reduce the effects of noise and decoherence. Another challenge is the scalability of quantum systems, as it is currently difficult to build quantum computers with a large number of qubits.