Graph Equation: x-|x|=y-|y| - Seeking Help

• MHB
  • Thread starter NoWay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the equation x-|x|=y-|y| has a graph that includes the entire first quadrant, as well as parts of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quadrants. The boundary with the first quadrant belongs to the graph in the 2nd and 3rd quadrants, while the line y=x belongs to the graph with negative x and y values in the 4th quadrant.
NoWay1
The equation is x-|x|=y-|y| and I need to make a graph for it.
So I thought I should solve it by breaking it down to 4 different equations, which would be -

x - x = y - y => 0=0
x - x = y + y => 0=2y => y = 0
x + x = y - y => 2x=0 => x = 0
x + x = y + y => 2x=2y => x = y

But this isn't correct, riight? I don't know what else to do, kinda lost here.
Would love some help, thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi NoWay and welcome to MHB! :D

What if:

y = x

y $\ne$ x

?

NoWay said:
The equation is x-|x|=y-|y| and I need to make a graph for it.
So I thought I should solve it by breaking it down to 4 different equations, which would be -

x - x = y - y => 0=0
x - x = y + y => 0=2y => y = 0
x + x = y - y => 2x=0 => x = 0
x + x = y + y => 2x=2y => x = y

But this isn't correct, riight? I don't know what else to do, kinda lost here.
Would love some help, thanks.

Hi NoWay! Welcome to MHB! ;)

It's correct all right, but you've left out the conditions.
The first equation is for the first quadrant ($x,y\ge 0$), so that $|x|=x,|y|=y$.
The second equation is for the 4th quadrant ($x\ge 0, y<0$).
The third equation is for the 2nd quadrant ($x<0, y\ge 0$).
And the fourth equation is for the 3rd quadrant ($x,y<0$).

Since the equation is always true in the first quadrant, all points in the first quadrant belong to the graph!
Your 2nd and 3rd equations show that only the boundary with the first quadrant belongs to the graph in those respective quadrants.
And the 4th equation shows that the line $y=x$ belongs to the graph with negative x and y.

In other words, the graph is:
View attachment 5967

Attachments

• Degenerate_graph.png
    Degenerate_graph.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 53
Wow, this is the first time I see a whole quadrant being in the graph, I would never have figured that out myself, thanks a lot for your clear explanation!

1. What is the meaning of the equation x-|x|=y-|y| ?

The equation x-|x|=y-|y| is a graph equation that represents a line on a coordinate plane. The line is formed by the intersection of two separate lines, one that is created by the equation x-|x| and the other by the equation y-|y|. The point where the two lines intersect is the solution to the equation.

2. How do I graph the equation x-|x|=y-|y| ?

To graph the equation x-|x|=y-|y|, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane. Begin by substituting different values for x and solving for y using the equation. Plot these points on the coordinate plane and then connect them to create the line. Repeat this process for different values of x to get a better understanding of the shape of the line.

3. What is the significance of the absolute value symbols in the equation x-|x|=y-|y| ?

The absolute value symbols in the equation x-|x|=y-|y| indicate that the values of x and y can be positive or negative. This means that there are two possible solutions for each value of x, resulting in the creation of two separate lines on the coordinate plane.

4. What is the relationship between the equations x-|x| and y-|y| ?

The equations x-|x| and y-|y| are related because they both represent lines on a coordinate plane and their intersection forms the solution to the equation x-|x|=y-|y|. However, they are different lines with different slopes and y-intercepts.

5. How can I use the equation x-|x|=y-|y| to solve real-world problems?

The equation x-|x|=y-|y| can be used to solve real-world problems by representing a relationship between two variables. For example, it can be used to determine the break-even point for a business by setting the cost and revenue equations equal to each other. By solving for the value of x, you can determine the level of sales needed to break even.