Solving a Math Puzzle: What Went Wrong?

• Thread starter Slimsta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
Your reasoning is correct, but technically, the correct answer for the tangent line is not A, it is \frac{dy}{dx}|_{x = x_0}.In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of identifying the tangent line and the differential of y in a given graph. The participants share their solutions and reasoning, and ultimately determine the correct answers to be F for the increment of x and \frac{dy}{dx}|_{x = x_0} for the tangent line.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8907/graphr.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't believe i got this wrong.. i even checked the textbook for that and still got it wrong :/
B,C,D,E are 100% correct.
the other 2 i logically matched them..
increment of x obviously going to be F
and the tangent line, or the differentiable of y is A
so what's wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dy and Differential of y are the same thing.

A is the line, whose equation would be y - y0 = f'(x0)(x - x0), where (x0, y0) is the point where the line is tangent to the curve, and f'(x0) is the slope of the tangent line. Other notation for f'(x0) is [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}|_{x = x_0}[/tex].

oh i didnt know i can use the same answer twice.. i was thinking that too but then i thought it would be wrong with 2 of the same answers..

thanks man

I think they got tricky on you.

1. What is the first step in solving a math puzzle?

The first step in solving a math puzzle is to carefully read and understand the puzzle. Make sure to take note of any key information or clues that may help you find the solution.

2. Why is it important to double check your work when solving a math puzzle?

Double checking your work is crucial in solving a math puzzle because it helps to prevent simple mistakes or errors. It also allows you to catch any logical errors or inconsistencies in your solution.

3. How can I avoid getting stuck when solving a math puzzle?

One way to avoid getting stuck when solving a math puzzle is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help to make the puzzle less overwhelming and easier to solve.

4. What should I do if I can't find the solution to a math puzzle?

If you are unable to find the solution to a math puzzle, try taking a break and coming back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try asking for help from a friend or teacher.

5. How can I improve my math puzzle solving skills?

You can improve your math puzzle solving skills by practicing regularly and trying out different strategies and techniques. It can also be helpful to work on puzzles of varying difficulty levels to challenge yourself and improve your problem-solving abilities.