Graph y=g(x): Sketch for [0,5] \implies R

• MHB
  • Thread starter Katsa333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, the equation for the graph y=g(x) is a function that relates the input value x to the output value y and can be written as y=g(x). To sketch the graph for the interval [0,5], plot the points (0, g(0)) and (5, g(5)) and connect them with a straight line. The notation [0,5] represents a closed interval, including all real numbers between 0 and 5. In the statement "Graph y=g(x) for [0,5] \implies R", "R" stands for the set of real numbers. The graph of y=g(x) can be used to solve equations by visually representing the relationship between input and output
Katsa333
I don't really know how to start with this question. Please help?

For the function g: [0,5] \implies R, g(x)=(x+3)/(2) (R=Real Numbers)
sketch the graph of y=g(x)
I don't know how the [0,5] \implies R changes the graph.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Katsa333 said:
I don't really know how to start with this question. Please help?

For the function g: [0,5] \implies R, g(x)=(x+3)/(2) (R=Real Numbers)
sketch the graph of y=g(x)
I don't know how the [0,5] \implies R changes the graph.

Hi Katsa333! Welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Properly we have the function $g: [0,5] \to \mathbb R$ given by $g(x)=\frac{x+3}{2}=\frac 12 x + \frac 32$.
The first part does not change the graph, other than defining its domain [0,5], meaning it begins at x=0 and ends at x=5.
The second part is the equation of a line that slopes up by $\frac 12$ when we move $1$ to the right.
And it intercepts the y-axis at $y=\frac 32$.

Now what will the graph look like? (Wondering)

Ah! I wondered what "[0, 1] implies R" meant! I like Serena is, correctly I think, taking it to mean that f is a function from [0, 1] to R.

Katsa333, "→" here is NOT "implies", it is simply "to" or "goes to". As I like Serena said, the graph of the equation y= (x+ 3)/2 is a straight line, with slope 1/3 and y-intercept 3/2. Restricting x to [0, 1] means that the graph is only the part of that line that lies above [0, 1] on the x-axis. It is the line segment with endpoints (0, 3/2) and (1, 2).

1. What is the equation for the graph y=g(x)?

The equation for the graph y=g(x) is a function that relates the input value x to the output value y. It is written in the form y=g(x) where g(x) represents the function and x is the input value.

2. How do I sketch a graph for y=g(x) for the interval [0,5]?

To sketch a graph for y=g(x) for the interval [0,5], first plot the points (0, g(0)) and (5, g(5)) on a coordinate plane. Then, connect the two points with a straight line. This line represents the graph of y=g(x) for the interval [0,5].

3. What does the notation [0,5] mean for the interval?

The notation [0,5] represents a closed interval, which includes all real numbers between 0 and 5, including 0 and 5 themselves. It is also known as a closed bracket interval.

4. What does "R" mean in the statement "Graph y=g(x) for [0,5] \implies R"?

In this context, "R" stands for the set of real numbers. This means that the graph of y=g(x) is valid for all real numbers within the interval [0,5].

5. How can I use the graph of y=g(x) to solve equations?

The graph of y=g(x) can be used to solve equations by visually representing the relationship between the input and output values. By looking at the graph, you can determine the value of y for a given x, or the value of x for a given y. This can help you to solve equations involving g(x) or to check your solutions.