Graphene Nanoribbon Band Structure Plot in Matlab: Bug Fixes Included

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter anahita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a MATLAB program for plotting the band structure of zigzag graphene nanoribbons. The program uses the tight binding model and the nearest neighbour approximation, with a Hamiltonian matrix that takes into account the four orbitals (s, px, py, and pz) of 2N0 carbon atoms in the unit cell. There is a question about the accuracy of the results, and a suggestion to compare with other sources.
anahita
Hi
I have plot band structure zigzag graphene nanoribbons with Matlab.
I do not know if it is properly written program anyone can help Bug fixes.

Matlab:
NU=10; % Number of atoms
Nbnd=4*NU; % number of bands
aa=2.26;
a=sqrt(3)*aa;
Csoc=0.0;

X(1)=0;
Y(1)=0;
for ixy=2:NU
  if mod(ixy,4)==2
  X(ixy)=X(ixy-1)-aa*cosd(30);
  Y(ixy)=Y(ixy-1)+aa*sind(30);
  end
  if mod(ixy,4)==3
  X(ixy)=X(ixy-1);
  Y(ixy)=Y(ixy-1)+aa;
  end
  if mod(ixy,4)==0
  X(ixy)=X(ixy-1)+aa*cosd(30);
  Y(ixy)=Y(ixy-1)+aa*sind(30);
  end
  if mod(ixy,4)==1
  X(ixy)=X(ixy-1);
  Y(ixy)=Y(ixy-1)+aa;
  end
end

for iz=1:NU
if mod(iz,2)==1
Z(iz)=0.45;
else
Z(iz)=-0.45;
end

end

sho=0;
for is=[0,-1,1]
  for ks=1:NU
  sho=sho+1;
  XT(sho)=X(ks)+is*a;
  YT(sho)=Y(ks);
  ZT(sho)=Z(ks);
  Ax(sho)=is*a;
  No(sho)=ks;
  end
end
figure(1)
plot(XT,YT,'*')
Ax=Ax/a;

for ik=1:101
K(ik)=-pi+(ik-1)*((2*pi)/100);

H=H0(Nbnd);

for is=1:NU
  for js=1:sho
  dis=sqrt(((XT(is)-XT(js))^2)+((YT(is)-YT(js))^2));
  if abs(dis-2.26)<0.1 & abs(No(is)-No(js))>0
  l=(XT(is)-XT(js))/dis;
  m=(YT(is)-YT(js))/dis;
  n=(ZT(is)-ZT(js))/dis;
  h=hamiltonian(l,m,n);

H((No(is)-1)*4+1:No(is)*4,(No(js)-1)*4+1:No(js)*4)=H((No(is)-1)*4+1:No(is)*4,(No(js)-1)*4+1:No(js)*4)+h*exp(i*K(ik)*Ax(js));

end
  end

end

E(ik,1:Nbnd)=sort(real(eig(H)));

pl(ik)=(ik-1)/100;

end

figure(2)
plot(E)
The functions h and H0 attached.
function [h] = hamiltonian(l,m,n)

h=zeros(4,4);
  tsss=-2.08;
  tsps=2.48;
  tpps=2.72;
  tppp=-0.72;

% gharar dad ----->% S, Px, Py, Pz
  %  S, Px, Py, Pz
  %1  2  3  4  
  h(1,1)=tsss;
  h(1,2)=l*tsps;
  h(1,3)=m*tsps;
  h(1,4)=n*tsps;

h(2,1)=-(l*tsps)';
  h(2,2)=l*l*tpps+(1-l*l)*tppp;
  h(2,3)=l*m*tpps-l*m*tppp;
  h(2,4)=l*n*tpps-l*n*tppp;

h(3,1)=-(m*tsps)';
  h(3,2)=(l*m*tpps-l*m*tppp)';
  h(3,3)=m*m*tpps+(1-m*m)*tppp;
  h(3,4)=m*n*tpps-m*n*tppp;

h(4,1)=-(n*tsps)';
  h(4,2)=(l*n*tpps-l*n*tppp)';
  h(4,3)=(m*n*tpps-m*n*tppp)';
  h(4,4)=n*n*tpps+(1-n*n)*tppp;
end
and
function [H0] = H0(Nbnd)
Es=-4.2;
Ep=1.715;
H0=zeros(Nbnd);
for ih0=1:Nbnd
if mod(ih0,4)==1
  H0(ih0,ih0)=Es;
else
  H0(ih0,ih0)=Ep;
end
end

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does it do what you expect it to do? Without an explanation of what you are trying to achieve, it is very hard to judge if something is correct or not.

DrClaude said:
Does it do what you expect it to do? Without an explanation of what you are trying to achieve, it is very hard to judge if something is correct or not.
I want to calculate structure graphene nanoribbons under strain, but the density of states thinks is wrong.

anahita said:
I want to calculate structure graphene nanoribbons under strain, but the density of states thinks is wrong.
Your program is not clear. You have to at least clarify which method you have used.

hokhani said:
Your program is not clear. You have to at least clarify which method you have used.
The program is written using the tight binding model.

anahita said:
The program is written using the tight binding model.
Ok, right. But the commands are not clear and it seems that you take 4 orbitals s and p (in gharadrad) and also some other details are not clear.To interpret a program you should bring the algorithm or the exact physical method you have used. For example I can not realize which bases you have taken into account for your Tight Binding calculation and what is the approximation (nearest neighbor, second,...). If your problem is with programming you should ask it in "Math software and Latex".If you want to check the accuracy of the result you can compare with the prepared results in many sites such as http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ElectronicBandStructureOfArmchairAndZigzagGrapheneNanoribbon/.

hokhani said:
Ok, right. But the commands are not clear and it seems that you take 4 orbitals s and p (in gharadrad) and also some other details are not clear.To interpret a program you should bring the algorithm or the exact physical method you have used. For example I can not realize which bases you have taken into account for your Tight Binding calculation and what is the approximation (nearest neighbor, second,...). If your problem is with programming you should ask it in "Math software and Latex".If you want to check the accuracy of the result you can compare with the prepared results in many sites such as http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ElectronicBandStructureOfArmchairAndZigzagGrapheneNanoribbon/.
What is meant by the following statement? " I can not realize which bases you have taken into account for your Tight Binding calculation"
I have used nearest neighbour approximation.

anahita said:
What is meant by the following statement? " I can not realize which bases you have taken into account for your Tight Binding calculation"
I have used nearest neighbour approximation.
I meant which bases you have taken for the Hamiltonian. As I said earlier, this problem requires that details to be explained entirely.

hokhani said:
I meant which bases you have taken for the Hamiltonian. As I said earlier, this problem requires that details to be explained entirely.
The unit cell contains 2N0 carbon atoms which leads to a 2N0x2N0 integral matrix H. matrices developed for the unit cell based on the first nearest neighbour assumption.

1. What is graphene nanoribbon band structure?

Graphene nanoribbon band structure is a plot that shows the energy levels of electrons in a graphene nanoribbon material. It is an important characteristic of this material and is often used to understand its electronic properties.

2. How is the band structure plot generated in Matlab?

The band structure plot in Matlab is generated by first creating a lattice structure of the graphene nanoribbon using the "lattice" function. Then, the Hamiltonian matrix is calculated using the "H0_GNR" function. Finally, the "eigs" function is used to solve for the energy levels and plot them on a graph.

3. What are some common bugs encountered when plotting the band structure in Matlab?

Some common bugs encountered when plotting the band structure in Matlab include incorrect lattice dimensions, incorrect input parameters for the "H0_GNR" function, and not properly defining the energy range for the "eigs" function. These bugs can result in distorted or incomplete band structure plots.

4. How can I fix bugs in my band structure plot in Matlab?

To fix bugs in your band structure plot in Matlab, first check for any mistakes in the input parameters for the "lattice" and "H0_GNR" functions. Make sure the lattice dimensions are correct and the energy range for the "eigs" function is properly defined. It may also be helpful to consult online resources or ask for assistance from colleagues.

5. What other features can be added to the band structure plot in Matlab?

In addition to the basic band structure plot, other features that can be added in Matlab include labeling the energy levels, adding a legend, and adjusting the color and line style of the plot. It is also possible to plot multiple band structures on the same graph to compare different materials or parameters.