Graphing a Fourier Series on a TI-84 Plus not working so well

In summary, when encountering issues with graphing Fourier Series on a TI-84 Plus, it is important to check for correct function input, mode settings, and potential errors or restrictions. The TI-84 Plus does not have the capability to graph complex numbers, and if the graph is not showing up, it may be due to window settings or disabled graph settings. Multiple Fourier Series can be graphed on a single screen using the "ZoomFit" or "ZoomStat" functions, and if the calculator freezes, resetting or updating the software may help.
QuantumPixel
Hi!

I was wondering how you would graph a Fourier series for a square wave that periodic. My textbook gave something proper that I would expect (just google 'Square Wave Fourier Series Expansion') while my TI - 84 gave a image like the one somewhere in this thread. It would be nice if anybody could help me fix this.

My TI 84 screen:
SCREEN01.JPG

QuantumPixel

Physics news on Phys.org
what interval is the period? How many terms did you take for the series?

HallsofIvy said:
what interval is the period? How many terms did you take for the series?

Between the intervals of [-1,1] and 11 terms.

Related to Graphing a Fourier Series on a TI-84 Plus not working so well

1. Why is my TI-84 Plus not graphing the Fourier Series correctly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, check if you have entered the correct function for the Fourier Series. If the function is incorrect, the graph will not be accurate. Also, make sure that your calculator is in the correct mode for graphing, such as radians or degrees. Additionally, check if there are any errors in the input values or if there are any restrictions on the domain of the function.

2. Can I graph a Fourier Series with complex numbers on a TI-84 Plus?

Unfortunately, the TI-84 Plus does not have the capability to graph complex numbers. It can only graph real numbers. If your Fourier Series contains complex numbers, you will need to convert them to their real and imaginary components before graphing.

3. Why is the graph of my Fourier Series not showing up at all on my TI-84 Plus?

There could be a few reasons for this problem. First, check if your calculator's window settings are appropriate for the graph. If the window is too small or too large, the graph may not be visible. Also, make sure that the graph is enabled and not turned off in the settings. If these solutions do not work, try resetting your calculator or updating its software.

4. Can I graph multiple Fourier Series on a single screen on my TI-84 Plus?

Yes, you can graph multiple Fourier Series on a single screen by using the "ZoomFit" function. This will adjust the window settings to fit all the graphs on one screen. You can also use the "ZoomStat" function to manually adjust the window settings to display multiple graphs.

5. My TI-84 Plus freezes when I try to graph a Fourier Series. How can I fix this?

If your calculator freezes or becomes unresponsive when graphing a Fourier Series, try resetting it by pressing the "2nd", "MEM", and "Reset" buttons simultaneously. This will clear any errors and allow you to start over. If the problem persists, try updating your calculator's software or contacting the manufacturer for further assistance.