Graphing fequence of the signal

In summary, graphing frequency of a signal is used to visually represent the different frequencies present in a signal and understand its characteristics. Frequency is measured on the x-axis in Hertz, with higher frequencies appearing towards the right side of the graph. A line graph is typically used for this purpose as it allows for a continuous representation over time. The amplitude of a signal is directly related to its frequency, with higher frequencies having a higher amplitude. Graphing frequency can provide insights into the signal's strength, stability, patterns, and interference, aiding in troubleshooting and improving signal quality.
cutesteph
Say x(n) = n for 0 <= n < 4 and 0 o.w.

So X(W) = Sum n=-∞ to ∞ x(n) exp(-inw) = sum from n=0 to 3 nexp(-inw)
= 0 + exp(-iw) + 2exp(-j2w) + 3 exp(-j3w)

How would I graph F(W)?

Also if the signal was continuous x(t) = t for the same interval

X(W)= integral 0 to 4 texp(-iwt) dy = (4exp(-i4w)/ -iw) - (exp(-iw4) -1)/w^2

How would I graph F(W) for this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cutesteph said:
Say x(n) = n for 0 <= n < 4 and 0 o.w.

So X(W) = Sum n=-∞ to ∞ x(n) exp(-inw) = sum from n=0 to 3 nexp(-inw)
= 0 + exp(-iw) + 2exp(-j2w) + 3 exp(-j3w)

How would I graph F(W)?
You wouldn't - no F(W) has been given.
You have an X(W) - which seems to be the fourier-series expansion of x(w) or something.
As it is written, it does not seem to depend on W though - but on w.
It helps if you say what things are.

Anyway - if your problem is to graph a sum of complex exponentials - you'd either plot the real and imaginary parts separately or plot the trajectory in the complex plane.

Also if the signal was continuous x(t) = t for the same interval

X(W)= integral 0 to 4 texp(-iwt) dy = (4exp(-i4w)/ -iw) - (exp(-iw4) -1)/w^2

How would I graph F(W) for this?
Again - no F(W) or any indication how it may be related to x or X. Same advise I guess.

I mean X(F).

I don't see any X(F) either.
What are these things supposed to represent?

To graph the frequency of the signal, you would plot the values of F(W) on the y-axis and the corresponding values of W on the x-axis. The graph would be a continuous line for the first scenario, where the signal is discrete, and a smooth curve for the second scenario, where the signal is continuous. The x-axis would range from 0 to 4, as that is the interval given in both cases. The y-axis would depend on the values of F(W), which can be calculated using the equations provided. You can also use software like MATLAB or Python to plot these graphs.

1. What is the purpose of graphing frequency of a signal?

The purpose of graphing frequency of a signal is to visually represent the different frequencies present in a signal. This can help in analyzing and understanding the characteristics of the signal, such as its strength, amplitude, and any patterns or changes over time.

2. How is frequency measured in a graph of a signal?

Frequency is measured on the x-axis of a graph, with the units typically being in Hertz (Hz). The higher the frequency, the closer the data points will be to the right side of the graph.

3. What type of graph is typically used to display frequency of a signal?

A line graph is the most common type of graph used to display frequency of a signal. This is because it allows for a continuous representation of the frequencies over time, making it easier to identify any changes or patterns.

4. How does the amplitude of a signal relate to its frequency?

The amplitude of a signal is directly related to its frequency. A higher frequency signal will have a higher amplitude, meaning it will have a greater height on the graph. Similarly, a lower frequency signal will have a lower amplitude.

5. What can be learned from graphing frequency of a signal?

Graphing frequency of a signal can provide valuable insights into the characteristics of the signal, such as its strength, stability, and any changes or patterns over time. It can also help in identifying any noise or interference present in the signal, and can aid in troubleshooting and improving the overall quality of the signal.