Graphing Functions of Differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intervals of increase or decrease for a given function using its derivative. The derivative is found and simplified, and an inequality is used to determine the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. The critical points of the function are also identified.
frosty8688

Homework Statement

Find the intervals of increase or decrease.
[tex] h(x)=(x+1)^{5}-5x-2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivative to be
\begin{align*}
h'(x) &= 5(x+1)^{4}-5 \\
&= 5[(x+1)^{4}-1] \\
&= (x^{4}+4x^{3}+6x^{2}+4x+1-1) \\
&= (x^{4}+4x^{3}+6x^{2}+4x) \\
&= x(x^{3}+4x^{2}+6x+4) \\
&= x[x^{2}(x+4)+2(3x+2)]
\end{align*} That is what I got so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your goal is to find out where ##h## is increasing or decreasing, then your first expression for ##h'(x)## is probably easier to work with than the rest of the stuff you wrote. For what values of ##x## is the following inequality true?
$$5(x+1)^4 - 5 >0$$

When x > 0 and when x < -2.

Last edited:
frosty8688 said:
When x > 0 and when x < -2.
Please explain how you got this answer.

When x is greater than 0, the first part of the equation is greater than 5. Let's say you put in 1 for x and 5*2 - 5 = 5 which is greater than 0. Also, when x is less than -2, let's use -3, then -2^4 = 16 and 5*16= 80 and 80-5= 75, so x is greater than 0.

frosty8688 said:
When x is greater than 0, the first part of the equation is greater than 5. Let's say you put in 1 for x and 5*2 - 5 = 5 which is greater than 0. Also, when x is less than -2, let's use -3, then -2^4 = 16 and 5*16= 80 and 80-5= 75, so x is greater than 0.
It seems like you are just plugging in values for ##x##, as opposed to solving the inequality. A more careful line of argument might start as follows:

Observe that
$$5(x+1)^4 - 5 > 0$$
if and only if
$$5(x+1)^4 > 5$$
if and only if
$$(x+1)^4 > 1$$
If we put ##y = x+1## then this is equivalent to
$$y^4 > 1$$
Since the equation ##y^4 = 1## has exactly two real solutions (##y = \pm 1##), it follows that the equation ##(x+1)^4 = 1## has exactly two real solutions (##x = 0, -2##).

Now how can we use this to obtain the desired conclusion?

Last edited:
The book has 0 and -2 as critical values.

frosty8688 said:
The book has 0 and -2 as critical values.
Thanks, I edited my previous post to fix the sign error. So what can you say about the sign of ##h'(x)## in each of the following intervals: ##(-\infty, -2)##, ##(-2, 0)##, ##(0, \infty)##?

It is increasing on (-∞,-2) and (0,∞) and decreasing on (-2,0) because x is greater than 0 on the intervals (-∞,-2) and (0,∞) and less than 0 on (-2,0).

The derivative in this case is continuous. Once you have found the "critical points", where the derivative is 0, the derivative can change from "+" to "-" only where it is 0 so "plugging in values of x" in each interval is a perfectly valid way of solving the inequality.

HallsofIvy said:
The derivative in this case is continuous. Once you have found the "critical points", where the derivative is 0, the derivative can change from "+" to "-" only where it is 0 so "plugging in values of x" in each interval is a perfectly valid way of solving the inequality.

I found that to be easier, because I still couldn't find out from the derivative how -2 was a critical number.

What's the value of the derivative when x = -2?

SteamKing said:
What's the value of the derivative when x = -2?

The answer is 0.

FAQ: Graphing Functions of Differentiation

1. What is the purpose of graphing functions of differentiation?

The purpose of graphing functions of differentiation is to visually represent the rate of change of a function. It allows us to see how the slope of a function changes at different points and can provide insights into the behavior of the function.

2. How do I know which type of graph to use for a particular function?

The type of graph to use for a function depends on the type of differentiation being performed. If the function is being differentiated once, a regular line graph can be used. If the function is being differentiated more than once, a graph with multiple lines or a polar graph may be more suitable.

3. Can graphing functions of differentiation help me find the minimum or maximum points of a function?

Yes, graphing functions of differentiation can help identify the minimum or maximum points of a function. These points can be found where the derivative of the function is equal to zero or where it changes from positive to negative or vice versa.

4. Are there any limitations to graphing functions of differentiation?

One limitation of graphing functions of differentiation is that it can only provide a visual representation of the function. It may not always accurately depict the exact values of the function or its derivatives. Additionally, graphing multiple functions of differentiation on the same graph can sometimes make it difficult to interpret the data.

5. How can I use the graph of a function's derivative to find its original function?

The graph of a function's derivative can be used to find its original function by integrating the derivative. This process is known as anti-differentiation. By integrating the derivative, we can find the original function up to a constant value, which can be determined by using a known point on the original function.