How to Calculate the Mass of Iron(III) Oxide from 500g of Iron?

• Thread starter nic.harv
  • Start date
In summary, gravimetric stoichiometry is a method used in chemistry to determine the quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction by measuring the mass of substances involved. It is commonly used in experiments to determine the amount or concentration of a specific substance in a sample and involves several steps, including determining the balanced chemical equation, measuring the mass of reactants and products, and calculating stoichiometric ratios. Potential sources of error in this method include incomplete reactions, impurities, and product loss, and it differs from other stoichiometric methods by focusing on mass rather than volume.
nic.harv
gravimetric stoichiomerty... eh? HELP

calculate the mass of iron(III) oxide (rust) produced by the reaction of 500g of iron with oxygen from the air

so i have no idea what do do here, my teacher sucks monkeys balls.

so i thought to do the mass of iron(III) oxide divided by the 500g but i know that's wrong. PLEASE HELP ME! I actually have no idea of what I am suppose to do.

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: How to Calculate the Mass of Iron(III) Oxide from 500g of Iron?

What is gravimetric stoichiometry?

Gravimetric stoichiometry is a method used in chemistry to determine the quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves measuring the mass of reactants and products to calculate the reaction's stoichiometric ratios.

How is gravimetric stoichiometry used in experiments?

Gravimetric stoichiometry is commonly used in experiments to determine the amount or concentration of a specific substance in a sample. It involves using a known chemical reaction and measuring the mass of the resulting product to calculate the amount of the substance of interest.

What are the steps involved in performing gravimetric stoichiometry?

The first step is to determine the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Next, measure the mass of the reactants and record the data. Then, perform the chemical reaction and collect the resulting product. Finally, measure the mass of the product and use it to calculate the stoichiometric ratios.

What are some potential sources of error in gravimetric stoichiometry?

Some potential sources of error in gravimetric stoichiometry include incomplete reactions, impurities in the reactants or products, and loss of product during the experiment. It's important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and use high-quality materials to minimize these errors.

How is gravimetric stoichiometry different from other stoichiometric methods?

Gravimetric stoichiometry differs from other stoichiometric methods, such as volumetric stoichiometry, in that it involves measuring the mass of reactants and products instead of their volume. This method is particularly useful when working with substances that are difficult to measure accurately in liquid form.