Gravitational Constant: Why Is It Fundamental?

In summary, there is no need for the gravitational constant 'G' to remain a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity. It can be expressed in 'c' and 'pi'.
Vishwasks001
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any need in the theory of relativity for Newton's Gravitational Constant 'G' to remain a fundamental constant.

Constant in Coulomb's Law can be expressed in 'c' and 'pi', then why Constant in Newton's Law needs to be a fundamental constant??

Physics news on Phys.org
In classical GR, the gravitational constant ##G## can be viewed as just a unit conversion factor, just like ##c## is. (More precisely, ##G / c^2## converts units of mass to units of length.)

In quantum gravity, it's not quite so clear. In quantum field theory, it doesn't make sense to give mass and length the same units; instead, they should have units which are the inverse of each other. So a constant that relates a mass to a length, which is what ##G## basically does, should have units of length squared, or inverse mass squared--i.e., it should not be dimensionless. This is closely related to the fact that the simplest quantum theory of gravity, a spin-2 field, is not renormalizable, because its coupling constant is not dimensionless (whereas field theories with a dimensionless coupling constant, such as QED, are renormalizable).

Likes Vishwasks001 and Dale
PeterDonis said:
In classical GR, the gravitational constant ##G## can be viewed as just a unit conversion factor, just like ##c## is. (More precisely, ##G / c^2## converts units of mass to units of length.)

In quantum gravity, it's not quite so clear. In quantum field theory, it doesn't make sense to give mass and length the same units; instead, they should have units which are the inverse of each other. So a constant that relates a mass to a length, which is what ##G## basically does, should have units of length squared, or inverse mass squared--i.e., it should not be dimensionless. This is closely related to the fact that the simplest quantum theory of gravity, a spin-2 field, is not renormalizable, because its coupling constant is not dimensionless (whereas field theories with a dimensionless coupling constant, such as QED, are renormalizable).

I am not sure if I understand the term renormalizable. But I understand what you have said.Would it violate GR or QFT rules if G is expressed as a product or multiple of c?

Vishwasks001 said:
I am not sure if I understand the term renormalizable.

Here is an overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization#Renormalizability

Be warned, this is a complicated subject (and further questions on it should go in the Quantum Physics forum, not here).

Vishwasks001 said:
Would it violate GR or QFT rules if G is expressed as a product or multiple of c?

Yes, because they are two different conversion factors. Different systems of units will have different ratios between these conversion factors, so there is no way to reduce them to just one (with the other being a fixed function of the one).

Or, if you view them as coupling constants, they are different, because they are associated with different interactions (G with gravity, c with electromagnetism), so you can't combine them into one.

Likes Vishwasks001
PeterDonis said:
Or, if you view them as coupling constants, they are different, because they are associated with different interactions (G with gravity, c with electromagnetism), so you can't combine them into one.
If somebody does, then what laws would it violate??

Vishwasks001 said:
If somebody does, then what laws would it violate??

The laws that say gravity and electromagnetism are different interactions with different coupling constants.

Likes Vishwasks001
Thank you.

1. What is the Gravitational Constant?

The Gravitational Constant, denoted by the symbol G, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is a universal constant, meaning it is the same everywhere in the universe.

2. How is the Gravitational Constant measured?

The Gravitational Constant is typically measured using a device called a torsion balance, which measures the amount of torque required to twist a wire attached to two small masses. By carefully measuring this torque and the distance between the masses, scientists can calculate the value of G.

3. Why is the Gravitational Constant considered fundamental?

The Gravitational Constant is considered fundamental because it plays a crucial role in our understanding of gravity and its effects on the universe. It is a fundamental part of many important equations, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.

4. Is the value of the Gravitational Constant constant?

Despite its name, the value of the Gravitational Constant is not actually constant. It is currently accepted to have a value of 6.67430 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2, but this value has been refined over the years as more accurate measurements have been made. Additionally, some theories suggest that the value of G may change over time or vary in different regions of the universe.

5. How does the Gravitational Constant impact our daily lives?

The Gravitational Constant may seem like a purely theoretical concept, but it has a real impact on our daily lives. For example, it is crucial in the design and operation of satellites and spacecraft, as well as in the study of planetary motion and the formation of galaxies. The value of G also affects the strength of gravity on Earth, which in turn influences the weight of objects and our ability to move and perform tasks.