How Is Energy Calculated for Moving an Object Away from Earth's Surface?

In summary, the author is trying to find a formula for how much energy is needed to move an object height h from the Earth's surface. Large that:dent's total work (W) spent ato move a body with mass m from the Earth to a point at distance R from the center of the earth:W=c\cdot m\cdot M\cdot (\frac{1}{R_0}-\frac{1}{R})c = 6.66 * 10 ^ -11, R_0 = 6370when R increases approaching the term 1 / R all zero, and work to keep a body
aloshi
hi!
in my book they are trying to derive a formula for how much energy is needed to move an object height h from the Earth's surface. so large that:

dent's total work (W) spent a
to move a body with mass m from the Earth to a point at distance R from the center of the earth:
[tex]W=c\cdot m\cdot M\cdot (\frac{1}{R_0}-\frac{1}{R})[/tex]
c = 6.66 * 10 ^ -11, R_0 = 6370
when R increases approaching the term 1 / R all zero, and work to keep a body from the Earth's surface infinitely far into the universe can be calculated by the formula
[tex]W=c\cdot \frac{m\cdot M}{R_0}[/tex]
what I can not really understand is that work is defined as force*distance, W=F*s.
why is [tex]\frac{1}{R_0}-\frac{1}{R}=distance[/tex] and why is [tex]c\cdot m\cdot M=force[/tex]??

can someone explain to me, thanks

2) why is [tex]c\cdot m\cdot M [/tex] the same at [tex]m\cdot g\cdot R^2_0[/tex], also
[tex]c\cdot m\cdot M=m\cdot g\cdot R^2_0[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aloshi! :smile:

(It's not c, it's G. :wink:)

Work isn't force*distance unless the force is constant.

Work is the integral of force wrt distance … W = ∫ F.ds,

and in this case F = GMm/r2, so W = ∫ GMm/r2 dr = GMm/r + constant. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

but I can not about Integration, can you explain in a different way? pleas

tiny-tim said:

unless the force is not constant, way they write the worke sow??

and i find this:
[tex]W=\int_{r=R_0}^{R}Fdr=\int_{r=R_0}^{R}\frac{cmM}{r^2}dr=cmM\int_{r=R_0}^{R}\frac{1}{r^2}dr=cmM\[-\frac{1}{r}\]_{R_0}^R=cmM\(\frac{1}{R_0}-\frac{1}{R}\)[/tex]
but i can not anderstund't

Last edited:

Hello! It looks like you are trying to understand the gravitational formula for work. Let me try to explain it to you.

First, the gravitational force between two objects is given by the equation F = G * m1 * m2 / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

Now, to calculate the work done in moving an object from the Earth's surface to a distance R from the center of the Earth, we use the formula W = F * s, where F is the force and s is the distance moved. In this case, the force is the gravitational force between the object and the Earth, and the distance moved is R - R0, where R0 is the radius of the Earth.

So, we can substitute the formula for F into W = F * s and get W = G * m * M * (1/R0 - 1/R) * s. Here, c is just a constant that combines G, M, and R0, so we can write it as c = G * M / R0. Now, if we plug in this value for c, we get the formula W = c * m * M * (1/R0 - 1/R) * s.

To answer your question about why 1/R0 - 1/R is considered as a distance, it is because it represents the change in distance from the Earth's surface (R0) to a distance R. Similarly, c * m * M represents the force of gravity between the two objects.

As for your second question, c * m * M is not necessarily the same as m * g * R0^2. The latter formula is for the force of gravity at the Earth's surface, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, in the formula W = c * m * M * (1/R0 - 1/R) * s, we are considering the work done in moving the object from the Earth's surface to a distance R, which is not necessarily at the Earth's surface. Therefore, the two formulas are not equivalent.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the gravitational formula?

The gravitational formula, also known as Newton's law of universal gravitation, is a scientific equation that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the gravitational formula used?

The gravitational formula is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects. It is particularly useful in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and stars, as well as the interactions between these objects.

3. What are the variables in the gravitational formula?

The variables in the gravitational formula are the masses of the two objects (m1 and m2) and the distance between them (r). These variables can be measured in units of kilograms (kg) for mass and meters (m) for distance.

4. What is the value of the gravitational constant in the formula?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, has a value of approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2. This value is a fundamental constant in physics and is used to calculate the force of gravity between any two objects in the universe.

5. How does the gravitational formula relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of general relativity, provides a more precise and accurate understanding of gravity compared to Newton's law of universal gravitation. However, in situations where the objects involved have relatively small masses and are moving at low speeds, the gravitational formula is still a valid and useful approximation.