Gravitational potential energy of a car

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gravitational potential energy of a car with its centre of mass at a height h above the ground. There is a discrepancy between using the formula mgh and the answer given in the book, which is mg(h-0.1). It is explained that this difference is due to the different reference points being used, and that the question should state the reference point for clarity. Ultimately, the absolute value of GPE does not matter, only the difference between two points.
mike168

Homework Statement

What is the gravitational potential energy of a car with centre of mass at a height h above the ground? On a level road the centre of mass is at a height of 0.1m above the ground.

Homework Equations

gravitational potential energy=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I would use the formula mgh to calculate the gravitational potential energy of the car. However, the book gives mg(h-0.1) as the answer. I am not convinced because I think the definition of gravitational potential energy is related to the position of the centre of mass above the ground, not its change of gravitational energy before and after. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how you set up your coordinates. Either would give you correct answers when working problems.

You can define the zero point to be wherever you want. Only changes in potential energy are relevant, not absolute values. So, if you define the GPE to be 0 when the car is on a level road, you're defining the GPE to be 0 at a height of 0.1 m above the road. So really the GPE in this case is given by mgy, where y = 0 at the position 0.1 m above the road. A height h above the road corresponds to a position of the centre of mass of y = h-0.1 m above the point where the GPE has been defined to be zero. Hence the GPE here is mgy = mg(h-0.1).

Instead, you could have defined GPE to be 0 at h = 0, in which case the car would have GPE mg(0.1 m) on a level road, and a GPE of mgh at the point specified in the problem. But this does not change the fact that the difference in GPE between the two points is mg(h-0.1)

An analogy is elevation. Really only differences in elevation matter. I could measure elevation from sea level, in which case, if I was at sea level, my elevation would be 0, and if I was 300 m above sea level, my elevation would be 300 m.

Alternatively I could measure elevation from the centre of the earth, in which case my elevation at seal level would be approx 6400 km, and my elevation at a point 300 m above sea level would be approx 6400.3 km. But the absolute elevation values don't really matter so much as the difference between them. Nothing has changed in the second case. The higher elevation point is still 300 m above the sea level point.

Last edited:
So the question in the book is inaccurate? We should always say gravitational potential energy "with respect to a reference point"?

The question is indeed ambiguous. It should say something like, "what is the GPE of a car with its centre of mass at a height h above the ground given that we define its GPE to be 0 when it is on a level road with its centre of mass at 0.1 m above the ground?" This qualification makes it clear what the reference point is.

Without this qualification, a reasonable person would assume that the GPE was being measured using the ground as a reference point (i.e. GPE = 0 when h = 0).

Last edited:
cepheid,
Thanks for your clarification.

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move the object from its current position to a reference point, typically at a height of zero.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is mass multiplied by acceleration due to gravity multiplied by height. In the case of a car, the mass would be the mass of the car and any additional load, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 9.8 m/s², and the height would be the distance from the ground to the car's current position.

What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of a car?

The factors that affect the gravitational potential energy of a car are its mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and its height. The higher the car's mass, the greater its potential energy. The greater the acceleration due to gravity, the greater the potential energy. The higher the car is from the ground, the greater its potential energy.

What happens to the gravitational potential energy of a car when it is in motion?

When a car is in motion, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. As the car moves downwards, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This is why the car gains speed as it goes downhill.

Can the gravitational potential energy of a car be negative?

The gravitational potential energy of a car can be negative if the car is below the reference point. This means that the car would have a lower potential energy than if it were at the reference point. For example, if the car is in a valley, its gravitational potential energy would be negative compared to being at the top of a hill.