Gravitational Potential Energy problem?

In summary, the problem asks for the initial kinetic energy required to reach a space station located 3 times the radius of Vulcan's surface, using the equations for potential energy and kinetic energy. The first part of the problem deals with escape velocity, which can be solved using the equation 1/2 mv^2 = GMm/R. To find the required velocity to reach the space station, the equation mgh = 1/2 mv^2 can be used, but it is not specified what value should be used for "g" in this equation.
Kitten207

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:

http://i51.tinypic.com/6r7jts.jpg

Homework Equations

PE= mgh
KE= 1/2mv^2

I'm not sure how to go about this problem =[

Physics news on Phys.org
Kitten207 said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:

http://i51.tinypic.com/6r7jts.jpg

Homework Equations

PE= mgh
KE= 1/2mv^2

I'm not sure how to go about this problem =[

The problem is not stated all that well. They say "rocket", but ask what the initial KE at the surface of Vulcan has to be to do those two things? Sounds more like a projectile which gets all of its KE from a single charge at the surface, rather than a rocket that carries fuel with it and burns it as it rises.

But whatever. You listed the Relevant Equations -- how do KE and PE trade off? The escape velocity question may be the easier of the two. What is meant by "escaping" the gravitational attraction of the planet?

Ok I know that escaping means 1/2 mv2 = GMm/R.

So for the first part, I'd do Sum Ki + Sum Ui = Sum Kf + Sum Uf? From that, I'll get the velocity? Do I need to use any kinematics equations?

bump. Help on just the first part of the problem.

Kitten207 said:
Ok I know that escaping means 1/2 mv2 = GMm/R.

So for the first part, I'd do Sum Ki + Sum Ui = Sum Kf + Sum Uf? From that, I'll get the velocity? Do I need to use any kinematics equations?

Yes, you got the escape velocity part correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

For reaching an orbit, you do trade off KE for PE, but also remember that to stay in orbit, you need to still have enough KE to match the velocity for that orbital height...

I am confused. To find the needed velocity:

mgh = 1/2 mv^2

v= sqrt(6gR) because height is 3R. Where do I go from there? What do I use for g?

Kitten207 said:
I am confused. To find the needed velocity:

mgh = 1/2 mv^2

v= sqrt(6gR) because height is 3R. Where do I go from there? What do I use for g?

Yeah, like I said, this question seems poorly asked (not your fault).

In a simplistic way, you could just take the delta PE from 1R to 4R (3R above the surface of Vulcan) as the delta PE, and that could give you an initial KE. But you wouldn't be able to stay in orbit at that altitude, you would just peak at that altitude (and drag down the space station if you docked...).

EDIT -- I guess all the question asks is to "reach" the space station, not orbit with it or dock with it...

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy problem?

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is stored in an object when it is raised above the ground or moved to a higher altitude.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy can be calculated using the equation GPE = mgh, where m is the object's mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The two main factors that affect an object's gravitational potential energy are its mass and its height above the ground. The higher the object is and the heavier it is, the more gravitational potential energy it will possess.

4. How is gravitational potential energy related to kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. When an object falls from a height, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. The total energy of the object (sum of GPE and KE) remains constant throughout the fall.

5. How is gravitational potential energy used in real life?

Gravitational potential energy is used in many everyday applications, such as hydroelectric power plants, where water stored at a higher altitude possesses gravitational potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy to generate electricity. It is also used in roller coasters, where the initial potential energy is converted into kinetic energy to propel the cars through the track.