Gravitational Waves prediction

In summary, the article discusses how black holes are detected and how the GW pulse was determined to be from a binary black hole collision. The article also references a figure that shows the angle between the orbital plane of the merging black holes and a line that connects Earth with the center of mass of the 2 BHs.
gianeshwar
Dear Friends!
Q.There was no direct evidence of binary black holes till September 14,2015,when signals coming from about 1.3 billion light years away were captured by LIGO.
Now my question is that how in advance we knew about the specific colliding pair.Did we theoretically predict the graph (between what values?)and did the real graph matched to a high degree with predicted graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely there were indirect observations; there seem to be a lot of different models.

"The first way we detect black holes is by their gravitational influence. For example, at the center of the Milky Way , we see an empty spot where all of the stars are circling around as if they were orbiting a really dense mass. That's where the black hole is.

"The second way is by observing the matter falling into the black hole. As matter falls in, it settles in a disk around the black hole that can get very hot. Some of the energy liberated from falling in is turned into light, which we can then see, for example, in X-rays.

http://chandra.harvard.edu/blog/node/308

The article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_black_hole has some interesting background. Note comments about portions of different models may be used in unison. The title references at the bottom of the article also offer some insights and opportunities for additional details.

Seems like the question now may be, which model was the best fit and was that luck or skill??

gianeshwar said:
Dear Friends!
Q.There was no direct evidence of binary black holes till September 14,2015,when signals coming from about 1.3 billion light years away were captured by LIGO.
Now my question is that how in advance we knew about the specific colliding pair.Did we theoretically predict the graph (between what values?)and did the real graph matched to a high degree with predicted graph.

Before observing the GW pulse on Sept 14, we didn't know that the specific BH pair that collided even existed, let alone its properties. Theoretical studies had been done of neutron star-neutron star, neutron star-black hole and black hole-black hole coalescence, and we had simulations of what the GW waveforms for these events would look like. To determine what type of event produced the observed GW pulse, the analysis team ran ~250,000 simulations of different types of events and the reported collision of 2 BHs fit the observations the best. The fit between the observations and the measurements is quite good. If you look at the second panel down in Figure 1 of this paper, you will see the comparison of the measurements to the simulations.

phyzguy said:
To determine what type of event produced the observed GW pulse, the analysis team ran ~250,000 simulations of different types of events and the reported collision of 2 BHs fit the observations the best. The fit between the observations and the measurements is quite good.

Please tell me, if you know, the angle between the orbital plane of the merging black holes and a line that connects Earth with the centre of mass of the 2 BHs. I searched the internet few days and didn't find any information about it.

DanMP said:
Please tell me, if you know, the angle between the orbital plane of the merging black holes and a line that connects Earth with the centre of mass of the 2 BHs. I searched the internet few days and didn't find any information about it.

I think if you look at Figure 2 from this paper, it will answer your question. The best fit shows the angle between the line of sight and the angular momentum vector of the system is about 150 degrees. An angle of 180 degrees would mean that the plane of the orbit is perpendicular to the line of sight, so the orbit is(was) tilted by about 30 degrees relative to a plane perpendicular to the line of sight.

Likes DanMP
phyzguy said:
I think if you look at Figure 2 from this paper, it will answer your question. ...

Thank you!

Thank you friends!
I could not see the figures you mentioned .
My further question is :
As I studied in EM waves an accelerated charge creates waves and they propagate in space pushing each other (Electric component and perpendicular magnetic component ) and the field generates wave pulse which has momentum and energy.We can also detect it through LC circuit.
Now a gravitational wave is produced by accelerated mass. There is only one field component in it.How it propagates?Do we have results parallel to EM waves like Poynting vector and other well known results of EM waves E equal to (B)c etc.
I am not expert.So please correct me if my question has drawbacks.
Thanks!

gianeshwar said:
Thank you friends!
I could not see the figures you mentioned .
My further question is :
As I studied in EM waves an accelerated charge creates waves and they propagate in space pushing each other (Electric component and perpendicular magnetic component ) and the field generates wave pulse which has momentum and energy.We can also detect it through LC circuit.
Now a gravitational wave is produced by accelerated mass. There is only one field component in it.How it propagates?Do we have results parallel to EM waves like Poynting vector and other well known results of EM waves E equal to (B)c etc.
I am not expert.So please correct me if my question has drawbacks.
Thanks!

This isn't really correct. The Electromagnetic field is a rank 2 antisymmetric tensor, which has 6 components. Splitting into E and B parts with three components each is a somewhat arbitrary split which is observer dependent. The gravitational field is represented by the metric tensor, which is a rank 2 symmetric tensor with 10 components, so it has more complexity than the EM field, not less. Both propagate through empty space because the field equations that they satisfy have wavelike solutions.

Likes gianeshwar
Thank you so much "phyzguy". Your guideline was very much needed.Hope you will continue to guide.This helps me to understand Physics faster.

gianeshwar said:
Thank you so much "phyzguy". Your guideline was very much needed.Hope you will continue to guide.This helps me to understand Physics faster.

You're welcome. Why could you not see the figures I linked to? Arxiv is an open web site, so you should be able to see the papers. What went wrong?

I was using Nokia Lumia 720 .Hopefully I ca. see it in laptop soon.Thankyou for your concern.Will respond after careful study.

1. How are gravitational waves predicted?

Gravitational waves are predicted through mathematical models and equations, specifically using Einstein's theory of general relativity. Scientists also use computer simulations and data from astronomical observations to support their predictions.

2. Can gravitational waves be detected?

Yes, gravitational waves have been detected by scientists using specialized equipment such as interferometers. These waves can also be indirectly detected through their effects on objects in space, such as the movement of stars and galaxies.

3. What causes gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars. These objects create ripples in the fabric of space-time as they move, which propagate outward as gravitational waves.

4. How do gravitational waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves are fundamentally different from electromagnetic waves in that they are not caused by the movement of charged particles, but rather by the acceleration of massive objects. They also have a much lower frequency and longer wavelength than electromagnetic waves.

5. What impact do gravitational waves have on our understanding of the universe?

The detection of gravitational waves has provided evidence for the existence of black holes and has allowed scientists to study the properties of these objects. Gravitational waves also provide a new way to observe and study the universe, allowing us to see phenomena that cannot be observed with traditional telescopes.