Gravitomagnetism and quantum theory of gravity?

In summary: Tajmar's experiment has been tried multiple times and it seems to be a bust. However, there is still some potential for it to be legit, as it hasn't been replicated yet.
H.M. Murdock
I was reading this:

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/GSP/SEM0L6OVGJE_0.html

and apparently it seems that Martin Tajmar seem to have made a significant step towards the long sought quantum theory of gravity. and at the same time he proven wrong some aspect about general relativity. althought he hasent got a lot of support from the scientific comunity.

what are your thoughts about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This reminded me of the Podkletnov's experiment, but in fact the Wikipedia page of him says

In 2006, Martin Tajmar and several coworkers at the Austrian Research Center (ARC) Seibersdorf announced their claim to have measured the gravitomagnetic London moment of Cooper pairs in a superconducting ring spinning at 6500 rpm.[citation needed] Despite the similarity to the apparatus used by Podkletnov, the authors carefully state in their eprint (see citation below) that their claimed result should not be confused with the claims of Podkletnov.

If this is the experiment I'm thinking of, a replication was attempted which failed. Which makes the whole affair rather doubtful.

pervect said:
If this is the experiment I'm thinking of, a replication was attempted which failed.

If you are not fully sure, then there is a non-zero probability, that you were thinking about the Podkletnov's experiment, which, according to all possible information sources, has failed repeatability.

I have nothing else to say to the OP, than that I'm interested in getting any reliable information about the Tajmar's experiment too.

unfortunately I haven't found a lot of updated info about it, but here there is another article about it:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19225771.800"

Last edited by a moderator:
jostpuur said:
If you are not fully sure, then there is a non-zero probability, that you were thinking about the Podkletnov's experiment, which, according to all possible information sources, has failed repeatability.

I have nothing else to say to the OP, than that I'm interested in getting any reliable information about the Tajmar's experiment too.

I'm quite sure that what I was thinking about was not the Podklentov experiment. I also recall that the experiment was in Australia, and that I posted some fairly detailed information about the replication attempt here on PF.

So let us see. assuming that it is the same, then Tajmar should be a good keyword, so...

bingo

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=180767

1. What is gravitomagnetism and how does it differ from regular magnetism?

Gravitomagnetism, also known as frame-dragging, is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It describes the effect of a spinning massive object on the space-time around it, causing a distortion similar to the way a magnet's field affects its surroundings. However, unlike regular magnetism, which is caused by the alignment of charged particles, gravitomagnetism is caused by the curvature of space-time itself.

2. How is gravitomagnetism related to the concept of gravity?

Gravitomagnetism is a component of gravity, but it is not the same as the force of gravity. While the force of gravity is caused by the presence of mass, gravitomagnetism is a result of a massive object's rotation, and it only affects space-time in its immediate vicinity.

3. How does the quantum theory of gravity relate to gravitomagnetism?

The quantum theory of gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to combine the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to explain the behavior of the universe at a fundamental level. While gravitomagnetism is a phenomenon predicted by general relativity, the quantum theory of gravity seeks to provide a deeper understanding of how gravity works at the quantum level.

4. Is there evidence of gravitomagnetism in the universe?

Yes, there is evidence of gravitomagnetism in the universe. One of the most notable examples is the Lense-Thirring effect, in which the rotation of a massive object, such as a black hole, causes a frame-dragging effect on the space-time around it. This has been observed in the orbit of Mercury and in the precession of the orbits of binary pulsars.

5. How does our current understanding of gravitomagnetism and the quantum theory of gravity impact our understanding of the universe?

Our current understanding of gravitomagnetism and the quantum theory of gravity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It helps us explain the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes, and the structure of the universe on the largest scales. It also has potential applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and quantum computing.