Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitrons Observed?

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    I remember vaguely hearing about gravitrons being observed in some university in June. Did this really happen and can anyone give me a link or some details about the discovery?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they were, somebody should better stop the latest supercollider project and divert savings to the next most promising project.
  4. Aug 8, 2005 #3

Gold Member

It's "gravitons" not "gravitrons". I only point this out in case you are Googling for information.
  5. Aug 8, 2005 #4

Gold Member

No reputable experimenters have claimed to have discovered gravitons in the past couple of months. Indeed, no one has even claimed to have found meaningful experimental evidence of gravity waves yet.
  6. Aug 8, 2005 #5
    Tell you this, you can answer that question for yourself very easily. Just type 'gravitons discovered' or 'gravitons observed' in the Google search bar. If you are redirected to sites of serious organizations like CERN, FermiLab, NASA, universities like MIT, CALTECH, STANFORD, BERKELEY,...you will find it out. You have the entire internet for yourself, man, start doing some independent research and be a real MAN, Hihaaaaa

Good Luck

ps the answer is NO
  7. Aug 8, 2005 #6
    That last post was kind of harsh lol. I'll look for it
  8. Aug 8, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Marlon harsh?! Perish forbid... :eek:
    He didn't even tell you what to do if you were directed to "Sid's lab".
  9. Aug 9, 2005 #8
    The last I read fermilab and cern ( don't think they are done yet though, don't remember) were both on the hunt for gravitons and so far they have been unsuccessful in finding evidence of them
  10. Aug 9, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... Fermilab has never gone out to look for "gravitons". They were trying to find the Higgs bosons. These are not gravitons.

LEP at CERN were never in any serious contention to find the Higgs. That is why it has been dismantled in favor of the LHC. The LHC is still being built.

11. Aug 9, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The current (August) issue of the Discovery magazine has an article discussing string theory, which summarizes attempts to measure gravitons and gravity waves.
  12. Aug 20, 2009 #11
    Actually,gravitons are thought to be the medium of interacion of the gravitational force. i suppose u know that.it is also thought to be the unit of antienergy or negative energy because gravity is thought to be antienergy
  13. Aug 20, 2009 #12
    Bud, this is a four year old thread.
  14. Aug 20, 2009 #13

Staff: Mentor

It is? That's news to me! :bugeye:

Do you have a reference or citation for that statement, from a reputable scientific source?
  15. Aug 22, 2009 #14
  16. Aug 22, 2009 #15

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

A link to an internet forum is not a reputable scientific source. Show us a reference to a published, peer-reviewed article in a scientific journal.

Furthermore, that link is nonsense. The first paragraph reads:
    That's just silly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?