Gravity Analogy: Why Does Moon Orbit Earth?

In summary, the Earth's mass creates a dip in space and the moon orbits around it in a frictionless orbit, similar to a marble in a bowl. However, this analogy does not work for objects falling from rest and the 2D representations of spacetime can be misleading.
oneamp
An intuitive gravity analogy that explains why the moon orbits the Earth is, the Earth's mass' effect on space creates a 'dip' that the moon circles around in a frictionless orbit, kind of like like a marble in a bowl. Am I understanding this right? If so, I am confused about something. If I drop something out of my hand, it hits the earth. The 'bowl' shouldn't be anywhere near my hand... at least it's not in the pictures that I've seen, that try to explain gravity. What up with that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
oneamp said:
If I drop something out of my hand, it hits the earth. The 'bowl' shouldn't be anywhere near my hand..

Not sure if a get what you mean. But you should read this regarding this analogy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_well#Gravity_wells_and_general_relativity

As far General Relativity is concerned, that analogy doesn't work for objects that you let fall from rest. You need the time dimension like shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdC0QN6f3G4

If the moon stopped in its orbit it would fall to earth.

You're talking about a picture like this, I take it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GPB_circling_earth.jpg.

That kind of picture is astonishingly bad as soon as you start to ask questions. The bowl that is shown is a two-dimensional surface; spacetime is four-dimensional. What they've actually drawn is a 2d slice through spacetime, and a 3d slice through Earth. The result is contradictory, to say the least, although it looks pretty.

If they were being consistent, they'd also draw a 2d slice through the Earth. Then it would appear as a circle embedded in the curved surface, rather than as a sphere on top of it. Then you could imagine yourself as a little stick figure on the edge of the circle, and you would see that your hand is in the bowl.

You still have no clear explanation why the ball falls, but AT's video might help with that.

Thank you

Ibix said:
If they were being consistent, they'd also draw a 2d slice through the Earth. Then it would appear as a circle embedded in the curved surface, rather than as a sphere on top of it. Then you could imagine yourself as a little stick figure on the edge of the circle, and you would see that your hand is in the bowl.
Right. In all those analogies that reduce dimensions to 2D everything actually happens within those 2D dimensions. Things shown outside of the 2D sheet are not part of the model, and just there to show the relation to the real world situation. What matters is their projections onto the 2D sheet.

1. How does gravity cause the moon to orbit the Earth?

Gravity is a force that exists between two objects with mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. The Earth has a much larger mass than the moon, so its gravitational force is strong enough to keep the moon in orbit around it.

2. What is the relationship between gravity and the moon's orbit?

The moon's orbit is a result of the gravitational pull between the Earth and the moon. The Earth's gravity acts as a centripetal force, pulling the moon towards it and keeping it in a circular orbit.

3. Can gravity change the moon's orbit?

Yes, gravity can change the moon's orbit. The gravitational pull between the Earth and the moon is not constant, as it depends on their positions and distances from each other. Other factors, such as the gravitational pull from other planets, can also affect the moon's orbit.

4. Why does the moon not fall to Earth due to gravity?

The moon is constantly falling towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. However, it has enough sideways velocity that it keeps missing the Earth and falling around it instead. This is similar to how a satellite orbits the Earth.

5. Is the Earth's gravity the only factor keeping the moon in orbit?

No, the Earth's gravity is not the only factor keeping the moon in orbit. The moon's own gravity also plays a role in its orbit, as well as gravitational forces from other celestial bodies in the solar system. Additionally, the moon's orbit is also affected by the Earth's rotation and its own inertia.