What happens to super-symmetry at the center of a black hole?

• I
  • Thread starter cheme2019
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of what would happen to an electron if it were sucked into a black hole. The professor in a "Sixty Seconds" video explains that at high energy, super-symmetry is restored and mass can only exist if super-symmetry is broken. The question is then posed if this same idea applies to the singularity at the center of the black hole. The response is that singularities cannot exist as they are physical nonsense, but our current understanding of gravity is only accurate beyond the plank scale. Before then, there is still hope for understanding the behavior of black holes.
cheme2019
I was watching a "Sixty Seconds" video (link below), where one of the professors answers the question 'What would happen to an electron if it were sucked into a black hole?'
He proceeded to say that it would probably not be able to be defined as an electron because at high energy, super-symmetry is restored, and you need super symmetry be broken to have mass.

So my question is, wouldn't the same hold true for a singularity at the center of the black hole? If his idea about the electron has some truth to it, why wouldn't that be so for the black hole itself? To be fair, I personally am not incredibly informed, but quantum mechanics and gravity have always interested me.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
cheme2019 said:
So my question is, wouldn't the same hold true for a singularity at the center of the black hole? If his idea about the electron has some truth to it, why wouldn't that be so for the black hole itself?

Of course.

Singularities can't exist - infinities are physical nonsense.

We know 100% for sure beyond the plank scale our knowledge of gravity is - well - nonsense.

But before then things are not that bleak:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1209.3511

Thanks
Bill

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies, as well as the everyday phenomenon of objects falling to the ground.

What is super-symmetry?

Super-symmetry is a proposed theory in physics that suggests there is a deeper underlying symmetry between bosons (force-carrying particles) and fermions (matter particles). It is a possible solution to some of the unanswered questions in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the nature of dark matter.

How are gravity and super-symmetry related?

Gravity and super-symmetry are connected through the concept of superspace, which is a mathematical framework that combines the ideas of general relativity (gravity) and super-symmetry. In this framework, gravity is described as a geometrical property of space-time, while super-symmetry is seen as a symmetry between different types of particles.

What is the evidence for super-symmetry?

Although there is currently no direct experimental evidence for super-symmetry, it is an attractive theory because it provides a solution to some of the problems in physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the unification of forces. In addition, some mathematical calculations using super-symmetry have yielded results that match with experimental data.

Why is super-symmetry important in understanding the universe?

If super-symmetry is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in nature, and potentially lead to a unified theory that explains all physical phenomena. It could also shed light on the nature of dark matter, which makes up a large portion of the universe but is still not well understood.