Does Gravity Affect Time Dilation on a Flat, Non-Rotating Earth?

In summary, the answer to the question is that the bullet that is dropped will hit the ground first, since it is moving slower.
ScientificMind
On a science test that I took the other day, one of the questions inspired me to ask a question of my own. The original question was a multiple choice question that went something like this: if someone shoots a gun horizontally and simultaneously drops another bullet, which one would hit the ground first? Of course, I chose the answer stating that they will both strike the ground at the same time, since they would both be accelerating downward at roughly 9.8 m/s/s, and it seemed fairly obvious that for this question I should assume that there are no obstacles or any change in terrain. Anyway, my question is this, since Einstein discovered that time slows down as something approaches the speed of light, would the bullet that was fired horizontally from the gun hit the ground second, at least from the point of view of a stationary observer, since the faster velocities would cause one second to be longer for the bullet that is moving faster than the other bullet? Also, I should probably mention that this is not a homework question, it was only inspired by one.

Physics news on Phys.org
First let's think about this in Newtonian gravity. Let bullet A be the one fired from the gun, and B the one that's dropped. By switching into a frame of reference moving horizontally at a speed equal to the gun's muzzle velocity, we can interchange the roles of the bullets. Now A is the one falling straight down, and B is the one moving along a parabolic arc. This shows that the roles of the two bullets in Newtonian gravity are interchangeable, so they must hit the ground at the same time.

In the context of relativity, one thing that changes is that simultaneity is no longer frame-independent. If the bullets are released simultaneously in the gun's rest frame, and at different positions, then in some other frame they weren't fired simultaneously. There's a similar ambiguity with respect to the times when they hit the ground.

In both Newtonian mechanics and relativity, we're allowed to switch to a free-falling frame of reference. (This is the customary frame to use in relativity, but not in Newtonian mechanics.) In this frame, there is no gravitational field. (Or in the traditional Newtonian description you could say that a fictitious force is cancelling gravity.) The ground accelerates up toward the bullets and hits them. This description makes it seem that there can't be any difference between the two bullets except for the frame-dependence of simultaneity described above.

The argument about the free-falling frame of reference implicitly assumes special relativity, which is valid if the spacetime is flat. Contrary to what Einstein thought when he first created GR, SR is capable of describing accelerated frames of reference.

ScientificMind said:
and it seemed fairly obvious that for this question I should assume that there are no obstacles or any change in terrain.
You must also assume vacuum, and a flat, non rotating Earth.

What is gravity and how does it affect the passage of time?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for holding galaxies together. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity also affects the passage of time. The stronger the gravitational pull, the slower time passes. This means that time moves faster for objects in weaker gravitational fields, such as satellites in orbit, and slower for objects in stronger gravitational fields, such as planets or stars.

Can gravity really bend and warp time?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can bend and warp space-time. This means that the presence of massive objects, like planets and stars, can cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which affects the way objects move and the passage of time.

How does time dilation work?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time moves at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and the strength of gravity in their respective frames of reference. This means that time can appear to pass slower for someone who is moving at high speeds or is in a strong gravitational field, compared to someone who is stationary or in a weaker gravitational field.

Can we observe time dilation in everyday life?

Yes, we can observe time dilation in everyday life, although the effects are very small. For example, GPS satellites have to take into account the time dilation caused by their high speeds and altitude in order to accurately calculate location and time for navigation. Additionally, atomic clocks on Earth have been shown to tick slightly slower than those on orbiting satellites due to the difference in gravitational pull.

Is it possible to reverse the effects of time dilation?

The effects of time dilation can be reversed by changing the conditions that caused it in the first place. For example, if an object is moving at high speeds, its time will appear to move slower from the perspective of a stationary observer. However, if the object were to slow down or stop, time would appear to speed up again. Similarly, if an object is in a strong gravitational field, time will appear to move slower. If the object were to move to a weaker gravitational field, time would appear to speed up again.