Gravity Decrease in Discs: Rate Explained

• Thread starter gonegahgah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the rate of gravitational decrease within a disk is constant, just like in a sphere. This is due to the inverse square law of gravity and the shell theorem which states that the gravitational force inside a uniform disk is independent of one's distance from the center. However, this may not apply in real-life scenarios due to varying density within the disk or other factors.
gonegahgah
Just wondering what the rate of gravitational decrease is in a disc - as opposed to a sphere.

I know the decrease inside a sphere is at a constant rate g1/r but that once you leave the sphere it then decreases at a squared rate g2/r2.

So, while inside a disc at what rate does the gravity decrease if you are moving out from the centre of the disc towards the rim and then when you continue to move away out from the rim?

Also, a what rate does the gravity decrease if you move from the centre away from the disc in a direction perpendicular to the disc?

Can anyone help me with the answer? Thanks if you can.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wouldn't the rate of gravitational decrease within a disc from centre to edge be at a constant rate also; just like for a sphere?

A sphere would create a greater dimple in space-time than a disc but essentially within their confines the change in gravity would be by a linear amount wouldn't it?

If that is so, wouldn't this effect essentially be why galaxies seem to have a constant rate of decrease in gravity outwards.

It changes from a bulge at the centre to a flatter spiral disc shape outwards. So the centre might act more sphere like graduating out to acting more disc like but essentially this would still be a gradual process so that the rate of gravitational decrease would still be fairly linear wouldn't it?

Or are there problems with with I am saying - such as varying density? Just like there is for a planet scenario where the planet is most dense at it's centre. (Are planets most dense at their centre?) Either way planets vary in density in different places so I guess a galaxy would be similar.

Does the above make sense or am I completely off track?

Hi Nik. Thanks, but doesn't really tell me my answer.

Gravity works according to an inverse square law: [tex]\vec{F}=\frac{GMm\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|^3}\Rightarrow{}|\vec{F}|=\frac{GMm}{|\vec{r}|^2}[/tex]where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of one (spherically symmetric or very small) object, m is the mass of the another (similar) object, and r is the vector from one to the other. There is a mathematical property of inverse square laws called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_theorem" of the disk. Note that the acceleration is a constant independent of one's distance from the center of the disk (this property depends on the density being a constant in terms of r and assumes the disk to be of infinitesimal thickness).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes a decrease in gravity in discs?

The decrease in gravity in discs is caused by the distribution of mass within the disc. As the mass becomes more spread out, the gravitational force between objects within the disc decreases.

2. How does the rate of decrease in gravity vary among different discs?

The rate of decrease in gravity can vary greatly among different discs due to differences in the distribution of mass, size, and shape of the disc. A larger disc with a more spread out mass will experience a greater decrease in gravity compared to a smaller, more compact disc.

3. Does the rate of decrease in gravity change over time?

Yes, the rate of decrease in gravity can change over time. As the disc evolves and its mass becomes more evenly distributed, the rate of decrease in gravity will decrease as well. Additionally, the rate of decrease in gravity can also be affected by external factors such as interactions with other objects or the surrounding environment.

4. How does the decrease in gravity affect objects within the disc?

The decrease in gravity affects objects within the disc by reducing the gravitational force between them. This can result in slower orbital speeds and less acceleration for objects within the disc. It can also lead to changes in the shape and stability of orbits within the disc.

5. Can the rate of decrease in gravity be reversed?

No, the rate of decrease in gravity cannot be reversed. The decrease in gravity is a natural consequence of the distribution of mass within the disc and can only be affected by changes in the disc itself or external factors. However, the rate of decrease in gravity can be slowed down or accelerated depending on the circumstances.