Gravity equation -- check my work please?

In summary: That is wrong? thanksYes, that's the right reason. (I misread your equation and thought you were adding them in the case of their attraction to each other.)
sp3sp2sp

Homework Statement

My answer seems really off and wondering if someone could just look at it before I submit answer?

Two 65 kg astronauts leave Earth in a spacecraft , sitting 2.4 m apart
How far are they from the center of the Earth when the gravitational force between them is as strong as the gravitational force of the Earth on one of the astronauts?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

F = Gm_1m_2/r^2
G = 6.67e-11N
m_earth = 5.98e24kg

The Attempt at a Solution

1st get gravitation force between the two astronauts then use this value to get distance from center of earth.

F = [6.67e-11N (65kg*65kg)] / (2.4m^2) = 4.89e-8N = force between the astronauts.

r = sqrt [ Gm_1m_2 / F] = 6.67e-11N (65kg*2)(5.98e24kg) / 4.89e-8N
= 1.03e12m = r = distance between Earth and the astronauts.

so my answer = 1.03*10^12m.

thanks in advance if someone could look it over really quick?

Physics news on Phys.org
sp3sp2sp said:
seems really off
Why ? What did you expect ? something of the order of 1024, of the order of 106 ? or of the order of what you found ?

Why the factor of 2 in the following?
sp3sp2sp said:
Otherwise, your work looks good to me.

Likes Delta2
Your method looks good (once you correct the error that @TSny points out).

Suggestion: Solve it symbolically and only plug in numbers at the last step -- things cancel and the calculation is easier.

Likes haruspex, SammyS and TSny
sp3sp2sp said:

Homework Statement

My answer seems really off and wondering if someone could just look at it before I submit answer?

Two 65 kg astronauts leave Earth in a spacecraft , sitting 2.4 m apart
How far are they from the center of the Earth when the gravitational force between them is as strong as the gravitational force of the Earth on one of the astronauts?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

F = Gm_1m_2/r^2
G = 6.67e-11N
m_earth = 5.98e24kg

The Attempt at a Solution

1st get gravitation force between the two astronauts then use this value to get distance from center of earth.

F = [6.67e-11N (65kg*65kg)] / (2.4m^2) = 4.89e-8N = force between the astronauts.

= 1.03e12m = r = distance between Earth and the astronauts.

so my answer = 1.03*10^12m.

thanks in advance if someone could look it over really quick?
This is an example of one of the many reasons it is better to work entirely symbolically, only plugging in numbers at the end. Using m for the masses of the astronauts and x for their separation:
##\frac{Gm^2}{x^2}=F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}##
##mr^2=Mx^2##.
Edit - got delayed in posting, so beaten by Doc Al.

thanks for the help . I wrote 65kg*2 because m_2 = the mass of the 2 astronauts. That is wrong? thanks

edit; i mean m_2 = mass of the 2 astronauts and m_1 = mass of earth.
Thats why I wrote total mass of the 2 astronauts

1.03*10^12m is wrong answer

sp3sp2sp said:
thanks for the help . I wrote 65kg*2 because m_2 = the mass of the 2 astronauts. That is wrong? thanks

edit; i mean m_2 = mass of the 2 astronauts and m_1 = mass of earth.
Thats why I wrote total mass of the 2 astronauts
Again, you might have avoided that blunder by using the purely algebraic approach.
Why would you add their masses together? What is being attracted to them as a combined object?

OK I should have used algebraic before plugging but is the *2 wrong because the question stem asks:

"How far are they from the center of the Earth when the gravitational force between them is as strong as the gravitational force of the Earth on one of the astronauts?"

or am I getting the concept wrong? thanks

Likes Delta2
i got 7.28*10^11m after using mass of just the one astronaut.
thanks for any more help.

sp3sp2sp said:
OK I should have used algebraic before plugging but is the *2 wrong because the question stem asks:

"How far are they from the center of the Earth when the gravitational force between them is as strong as the gravitational force of the Earth on one of the astronauts?"
Yes, that's the right reason. (I misread your equation and thought you were adding them in the case of their attraction to each other.)
sp3sp2sp said:
i got 7.28*10^11m after using mass of just the one astronaut.
thanks for any more help.
Well, as I showed it should be x√(M/m) = 2.4√(5.98e24/65)= your answer.

1. What is the gravity equation?

The gravity equation, also known as Newton's law of universal gravitation, is a mathematical formula that describes the force of gravitational attraction between two objects. It states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force of gravity?

The force of gravity can be calculated using the gravity equation: F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is a fundamental constant in physics and has a value of 6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

4. Does the force of gravity change with distance?

Yes, according to the gravity equation, the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This means that the force of gravity is stronger when objects are closer together and weaker when they are further apart.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the force of gravity?

The mass of an object directly affects the force of gravity according to the gravity equation. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational force compared to smaller objects, such as asteroids.