Quality Factor of Oscillator, Can someone Look at My Work Please

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the energy radiated by an accelerated electron and the quality factor. The first part involves finding the energy radiated by an electron oscillating in a straight line, while the second part involves finding the quality factor using the equation 2π x energy stored/energy dissipated per cycle. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the results, as the answer book suggests multiplying the denominator by a factor of 4 instead of 2. The person is unsure of where their mistake may be and asks for clarification.
mmmboh
Hi, so I did the question, but apparently my answer is off by a factor of 2.

An accelerated electron radiates energy at the rate Ke2a2/c3...e is the electron charge, a is the instantaneous acceleration, c is the speed of light, K=6x109Nm2/C2...whatever that is.

So first I had to find how much energy an electron oscillating in a straight line would radiate over one cycle, the motion is describe by x=Asin([tex]2\pi[/tex]ft), I did that and according to the answer book I am right, it is Ke28A2pi4f3/c3.

For the next part I have to find the quality factor...I know that is [tex]2\pi[/tex] x energy stored/energy dissipated per cycle, and the energy stored is 1/2 kA2, and since k=w0m the energy stored becomes (1/2)4pi2f2mA2...when I do that times [tex]2\pi[/tex], and then divide that by the energy dissipated over one cycle that I found in the first part, I get as an answer mc3/(2Ke2pif)...but according to the answer book the denominator should be multiplied by a factor of 4, not two...

Am I missing something here? I can't figure out where my mistake is..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone clear this up please?

I am getting same results as you
factor of 2 , not 4.
I used the aproximation of ln(1-x)=-x if x<1 assuming the radiation is not taking too much energy of the electron

1. What is the Quality Factor (Q) of an oscillator?

The Quality Factor, or Q, of an oscillator is a measure of its performance. It represents the ratio of the energy stored in the oscillator to the energy lost per cycle. A higher Q indicates a more efficient oscillator with less energy losses.

2. How is the Quality Factor (Q) calculated?

The Quality Factor (Q) of an oscillator can be calculated using the formula Q = 2π * energy stored / energy lost per cycle. The energy stored is typically measured in Joules and the energy lost is measured in Joules per cycle.

3. Why is the Quality Factor (Q) important in oscillators?

The Quality Factor (Q) is important because it determines the stability and frequency accuracy of an oscillator. A higher Q indicates a more stable and accurate oscillator, which is crucial in many applications such as communication systems and precision instruments.

4. How does the Quality Factor (Q) affect the performance of an oscillator?

A higher Quality Factor (Q) in an oscillator results in lower energy losses and therefore, a more stable and accurate frequency output. It also allows for a longer ring time, meaning the oscillator can sustain its output for a longer period of time. On the other hand, a lower Q can result in frequency drift and a less stable output.

5. What factors can affect the Quality Factor (Q) of an oscillator?

The Quality Factor (Q) of an oscillator can be affected by various factors such as component tolerances, temperature, and external interference. Component tolerances can cause variations in the energy stored and lost, while temperature changes can affect the physical properties of the oscillator's components. External interference can also introduce energy losses and affect the Q of the oscillator.