1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quality Factor of Oscillator, Can someone Look at My Work Please

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    Hi, so I did the question, but apparently my answer is off by a factor of 2.

An accelerated electron radiates energy at the rate Ke2a2/c3...e is the electron charge, a is the instantaneous acceleration, c is the speed of light, K=6x109Nm2/C2...whatever that is.

So first I had to find how much energy an electron oscillating in a straight line would radiate over one cycle, the motion is describe by x=Asin([tex]2\pi[/tex]ft), I did that and according to the answer book I am right, it is Ke28A2pi4f3/c3.

For the next part I have to find the quality factor...I know that is [tex]2\pi[/tex] x energy stored/energy dissipated per cycle, and the energy stored is 1/2 kA2, and since k=w0m the energy stored becomes (1/2)4pi2f2mA2...when I do that times [tex]2\pi[/tex], and then divide that by the energy dissipated over one cycle that I found in the first part, I get as an answer mc3/(2Ke2pif)...but according to the answer book the denominator should be multiplied by a factor of 4, not two...

Am I missing something here? I can't figure out where my mistake is..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2
    can anyone clear this up please?

4. May 6, 2012 #3
    I am getting same results as you
    factor of 2 , not 4.
    I used the aproximation of ln(1-x)=-x if x<1 assuming the radiation is not taking too much energy of the electron

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook