1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Gravity field phenomenon is the curved light ray ?

1. Surrounding the planets usually exists the various atmosphere. Due to this atmosphere, one light ray crossing the planet will be refracted more if it comes more closely to the planet's surface. So how to know that " gravity field phenomenon is the curved light ray" is not created by the planets' atmosphere ?

2. jcsd
  3. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,952
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Planets are not normally used to measure gravitational lensing.
    The atmosphere is a problem and they don't have enough mass to give a significant result.

4. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,905
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You forgot to ask why there are atmosphere around a planet in the first place.

There's one simple way to check for this. Put an object in an environment of "less atmosphere" and check its weight. If it has changed considerably as you pump out the air, then you'd be correct. I have a vacuum chamber that can go to as low as 10^-10 Torr. How much are you willing to bet that a block of, say, OFE copper that I put in there would be reduced in mass as I pump it down?

Zz.

5. Atmosphere is " Sphere lens "

6. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,905
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So where is this "sphere lens" when I pump out a lot of it, yet my object still weighs the same?

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?