Gravity How does it really work?

In summary: Einstein himself would have been proud of this summary!In summary, Gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by the energy released when mass becomes light.
Nano-Passion
Gravity... How does it really work??

Title says it all... the harder I think about it the more I am puzzled.

Please; no "common-sense" answers such as heavier things attract.

Physics news on Phys.org

The most exact way we know gravity is contained in the rather complex subject of general relativity.

While no one knows how any of the forces actually work, we describe gravity in two general ways...classically as a force, and a more accurate description via General Relativity(GR)...the Einstein field equations that Dalespam referenced...which describe gravity as the curvature of spacetime...

A third approach is quantum gravity: an attempt to combine the GR view of gravity with the quantum mechanical view...a work in progress...

I have use the above simple language for comprehension of fundamentals, do not understimate the complexity of gravity and the physics of particles.

Einstien's tensor states that (G=kT) "curviture of spacetime is proportional to electromagentic energy content." Generally, curviture itself is synonymous with an acceleration, or a change in energy, or a force. In some sense, the above equation is just a relativistic equavelnt of our everyday understanding. The contraction of space is never noticed by an observer, taking the solar system for example, we would not see the space a curved when we map it generically, but in terms of energy it is distorted like light refracting into a glass block. For an analogy, we might say that space too has a density in spacetime, just like optical refraction through a glass block. (Spacetime contraction is homologus to electromagnetic distortion.)
These gravitons which theoretically mediate the field, change the way that light and massive structures constructed of electromagnetic-energy move through it. (See rest mass, Lorentz Transform, Geodesics, Redshift)
Although gravity accounts for no "energy" on the eletromagentic charts, it counterintuitively affects paths of objects. But there is a spontanous exchange occurring between velocity and restmass. Gravitational 'energy' or field, which interacts with electromagentics, radiates out from a massive source, filling space. This interaction is supposed to be mediated by a particle called a gravition, which has not yet been detected.

A graviton simply unlocks relativistic rest mass, and opens it up into motion. Therefore a graviton facilitates a change in curviture,as the enstien equations say gravity does, thus causing an 'expanding' of energy within a mass into motion as it does. Per geneneral relativity these facts are undeniably true. How to detect the particle, and how it is generated is truly in question. We certianly know that a graviton is generated by only mass, where energy is pent up tightly. We also know that the more the energy is pent up, the more gravity is produced. When mass is released, light or heat is produced, and gravity reduces.

In short it is not how gravity works that is in question, it is in the details of why.

rchase said:
it is not how ___ works that is in question, it is in the details of why.

You know... I really really admire that type of thinking... Its what progresses us forward. Amazing line; I feel tempted to quote it!

rchase said:
We also know that the more the energy is pent up, the more gravity is produced. When mass is released, light or heat is produced, and gravity reduces.

Uh... those are not even close to true statements.

Pallidin is referring to the phenomena that if the sun were to explode into pure energy, the planets would maintain their orbits. This is true only if the energy is randomized and spherical. If all the energy from the sun were freakishly emitted in one direction, the gravity would be severely affected directionally. (Curviture tensor is direction dependent.) Relativity is direction dependent. Transformations to rest mass due to accceleriation are directional.

To summarize more traditionally, less mass equals less gravity. Energy is released from mass when it becomes light. Less light, less mass, less energy, less gravity. A gendanken explains: To some very small extent, all the light on Earth including heat, contributes to the mass of the earth, and thus to gravity. If we could remove all the mass-like particles, without the light flying away, we would 'see' a ball of light which produces a small amount of gravity. Usually the light excapes solid state confinement when it leaves mass.

Regarding Nano-Passion's comment.So about the why part...

Accounting for the phenomena takes a genius, but undertanding gravity really should not. Obviously a genius would have trouble expressing things simply for all the details...

To clarify, the uncertian details of why gravity works lies in diffuculty in defining how 'light' is confined to mass, and does not just fly out. (Where light is energy in e=mc^2.) The reason 'the light does not fly out' will be fetched close by 'why mass emits gravity.' (See the definition of momentum in quantum mechanical systems and relation to electromagnetics and relatvisitc geodesics.) I am well read in general relativity, but less so in highly theoretical work which has fewer useful applications yet. Mathematically useful theories such as the higgs bosson, M-Theory, string theory, and quantum gravity appear to address issues of where to account for the energy which is converted. All of these accounting strategies say fundamentally "the light is in there somewhere, somehow, and let me count them for you broken up in this particular way."

I have provided the following breakdown of what I think I know, and would appreciate some feedback upon this further simplification or accuracy to aid others:

M-Theory defines the number of ways light is hidden in mass.
The higgs outlines how light is confined within a mass.
Quantum gravity explains the foamy way gravitons seem to work.

What I know about the Higgs boson is that it apparently creates a well like a mexican hat, which confines energy to one side or the other of a position, much like a pendulum moving in a circle. However the explanation is very breif, like a mathematical clue stemming from the standard model.

What I know about M-Theory is that the energy is either in lines, sheets, or circular loops known as string. M-Theory 'added' dimensions curled up to 'allow' the energy to have momentum and still not move. This is a place for the high speed 'light' to go rest while massive. "A real parrallel dimension."

Quantum gravity theories often include a noisy sea of background which is noiser, foamier or wavier where gravity is higher. This method allows for electromagentic energy to exist, but it's just too tiny to be measured by an atom or much else for that matter. Sometimes, it is rolled up in more of the 'parallel dimensions'! -eeek!

Try this simplification:
I have found some words analogus to interchange them to helping me achieve a simpler understanding of the phenomena. Light=energy=mass. Gravity=curviture .Circular = not linear light

Higgs Simplified Words:
To conclude, light moving in a higgs shape (confinement) is 'curved' or circular and is called mass. We know 'curved' light i.e. mass emits gravity.

Standard Model Simplified Words:
Gravity curves light, gravity pulls on 'curved light' i.e. mass. Conversely, by action-reaction, the curved light is pulling on mass, and the 'curved light' is pulling on curved light. (The standard model supposes action reaction applies to spoofed interactions too.)

Quantum Gravity Simplified Words:
Emitted gravity contains energy or 'light', but it is very noisy like foam, like an interference where no electromagentics is measured with common instruments due smalleness or due to a 'parallel dimension'. Also this energy does not affect much of anything in a electromagentic way. The foam accumulates a little in one side of a particle which is closer to the source causing a preturbation (bending) of the mexican hat which in itself is a rather fuzzy idea.

M-Theory Simplified Words: (As it pertains to why gravity.)
The light goes somewhere in mass... It had to be somewhere curled up. Maybe how or in what dimension doesn't matter so much. (No pun intended.)

If this leaves any question about what a gravton is, and how it works, it would only be "what's the formula and what's it look like."

Can anyone expand on how or why gravity?

Locked pending moderation.

Zz.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and keeps planets in orbit around the sun. It works by pulling objects towards each other with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

2. How was gravity discovered?

Gravity was first described and studied by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He observed the falling of an apple from a tree and began to develop his famous theory of gravity and laws of motion. Later, Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity provided a more complete understanding of gravity.

3. Is gravity the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, gravity is a universal force and is the same everywhere in the universe. However, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass and distance between objects. For example, the gravitational pull on Earth is stronger than the pull on the moon due to Earth's larger mass.

4. How does gravity affect time and space?

Einstein's theory of general relativity explains that gravity is not just a force between objects, but it also affects the fabric of space and time. Massive objects like planets and stars create a curvature in space-time, and other objects move along this curved path. This phenomenon is known as space-time distortion.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly studying and researching this force in hopes of finding new technologies and ways to harness its power. Some researchers are exploring the possibility of creating artificial gravity for space travel, but it is still a theoretical concept.