Gravity on Earth: Explaining Trampoline Warping & Tides

In summary, the conversation discusses how gravity works on Earth and how it can be understood using the analogy of a trampoline. However, there are still questions about how gravity works at the poles and how it is related to the warping of space. The concept of general relativity is also mentioned, but the individual has not studied it yet. They are directed to online resources for further understanding.
Aman Trivedi
If gravity is the warping of space, how does it work on Earth for us? Imagine a trampoline (the most common example for describing gravity) when a bowling ball is kept on a trampoline the weight of the ball forces the trampoline to stretch, but on our planet the gravity works downward on the land regardless of where we are. On the trampoline the whatever is kept below the ball won't feel the downward force, only things that are on top. Then how does gravity work on Earth, and that too on both the poles? Also how does the warping of space justify tides that occur from moons gravitation pull on earth? Albert Einstein's concept of gravity always made sense to me, but only on a larger scale. But when I think about how people on the South Pole and the North Pole feel a downward gravitation, it means the ball warps the trampoline from
North and South, how could that be possible? Ps I haven't really studied general relativity yet, as I'm still doing my IGCSE. Though my curiosity for the cosmos made me stumble upon this. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
And, spacetime is, strangely enough, not a trampoline!

1. How does gravity cause a trampoline to warp?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes all objects with mass to attract one another. When you stand on a trampoline, your weight causes the fabric to stretch downward. This creates a dip in the surface, which is known as warping. The greater the weight on the trampoline, the more the fabric will warp.

2. Why do objects feel lighter on a trampoline?

When you jump on a trampoline, the fabric stretches downward and creates a dip in the surface. This dip acts as a cushion, reducing the force of gravity on your body. As a result, you feel lighter on a trampoline compared to when you are standing on a flat surface.

3. How does gravity affect tides on Earth?

The moon's gravitational pull is responsible for tides on Earth. The moon's gravity pulls on the Earth's oceans, causing them to bulge on the side facing the moon and on the opposite side. The Earth's rotation also plays a role in tides, creating two high tides and two low tides every day.

4. Why do tides occur at different times each day?

The timing of tides is affected by the moon's position in its orbit around the Earth. As the moon orbits, its gravitational pull on the Earth's oceans changes, causing variations in the timing and height of tides. This results in tides occurring at different times each day.

5. Can gravity be altered on Earth?

Gravity is a natural force and cannot be altered on Earth. However, its effects can be counteracted with other forces. For example, the upward force from a trampoline can counteract the downward force of gravity, making objects feel lighter. But the strength of gravity itself cannot be changed on our planet.