Gravity on the Minkowski spacetime

• Thread starter Altabeh
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Would someone please provide me with some papers or sources about the tensor gravitation theories on the Minkowski spacetime? They are field theories wherein the matter is supposed to not affect the geometry of spacetime and thus leaving the background spacetime unchangend with respect to the interactions of matter!

Thanks in advance
AB

Answers and Replies

Hi Altabeh,

the most recent one I've got is attached. There are references within. Work in this area is discouraging because one always ends up with the same field equations as GR. Some people think there is no difference in the predictions made by field theory gravity and GR, but some disagree.

For the casual reader here is a quote from the introduction

There is a common statement both in scientific publications and popular literature dealing with General Relativity (GR) that geometrical description of gravity is the only logically consistent generalization of the Newtonian classical theory of gravitation. However, a reader, non-aligned to general relativity may put a natural question why it is impossible to consider gravitation in the same way as other physical interactions, i.e. as a quantum field in flat space-time background.
Indeed, such a field approach to gravity has been discussed in the literature and known since the works of Poincar´e in 1905-1906 on the special theory of relativity. The Field Theory of Gravitation (FTG) was considered in classical works of Birkhoff, Moshinsky, Thirring, Kalman, Feynman, Weinberg, and Deser. The history of FTG is full of misleading claims and it demonstrates the hard way of creation and development of scientific ideas.

Attachments

Hi Altabeh,

the most recent one I've got is attached. There are references within. Work in this area is discouraging because one always ends up with the same field equations as GR. Some people think there is no difference in the predictions made by field theory gravity and GR, but some disagree.

For the casual reader here is a quote from the introduction
This was very helpful, though I'm not so fond of such theories because it can never be something possible physically, but since they lead to the results of GR one can think they provide a good and simpler framework for the mathematics of GR!

AB