Gravity: A Matter of Spacetime Compression?

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and how it relates to matter and spacetime. The speaker envisions gravity as a "contraction" in spacetime, with shorter wavelengths closer to a body of mass and longer wavelengths further away. They also consider gravity as a "slide" that keeps us on the surface of the Earth. The speaker revises their thoughts to include waves and recommends a thorough understanding of General Relativity before trying to understand gravity differently. Finally, the conversation mentions the concept of gravitational waves and suggests further reading on the topic.
YoungDreamer
I have always thought of gravity as being a phenomenon related to matter.
I have always envisioned it as a "contraction" in spacetime reaching out in all directions from an object.
What I mean by contraction is that the closer you get to a body of mass the more spacetime is compressed.
Due to this compression of spacetime it is warped to propagate faster or slower depending on the distance from the center of mass that is creating the effect and the amount of mass/density.
A better way to visualize what I am saying is to think of it as a wavelength. The spacetime closer to an object has a shorter wavelength and as you get further away the wavelength of space and time gets longer.
And in cases of extreme gravity like a black hole the wavelength is so short that the waves are compressed to the point that they are essentially one, like a spring that has been compressed so that the "waves" are all touching.
The only difference in the way I look at it and my wavelength analogy is that I look at gravity in terms of straight lines being compressed so you wouldn't really be able to see the compression like you would in a wavelength.
Now my question is am I wrong, if so how wrong and what is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention my thoughts on the affect gravity has on mass in my line of thinking.
We know gravity is responsible for, well, basically falling. So when I think about this fact in relation to my above statements I would think that the compression lines of gravity work almost like a slide. The closer we get to an object the faster we "fall". Since we are stuck on Earth, for the most part, we are always in the most compressed region of spacetime relative to Earth, therefore we always "slide" right back down.
I guess it would be easier to explain this with wavelengths as well. Imagine the wavelengths are moving towards the Earth, the wave is keeping us down the same way a water wave pushes a surfer towards shore.
Now that I think about it a little more if its easier to explain as a wavelength then it is probably a wave anyways and not straight as I had previously thought.
Now I have revised my thoughts on gravity to include waves.
With that new perspective are my thoughts on the way gravity works correct, if not please correct my misunderstandings.

I would like to add one more thing.
I thought that gravity was not just a phenomenon related to matter, as I have stated above, but a phenomenon related to the way matter interacts with spacetime.

Have you read up on General Relativity and other things relating to gravity? If not I recommend having a thorough understanding of those before trying to understand gravity differently.

Drakkith said:
Have you read up on General Relativity and other things relating to gravity? If not I recommend having a thorough understanding of those before trying to understand gravity differently.

I suggest the OP try a search on "gravitational waves."

olivermsun said:
I suggest the OP try a search on "gravitational waves."

Yes, there is that too.

What is "Gravity: A Matter of Spacetime Compression"?

"Gravity: A Matter of Spacetime Compression" is a theory that explains the relationship between gravity and space and time. It suggests that gravity is not a force, but rather a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

How does this theory differ from traditional theories of gravity?

This theory differs from traditional theories, such as Newton's theory of gravity, by proposing that gravity is not a force that acts at a distance between objects. Instead, it suggests that gravity is a result of the warping of space and time by massive objects.

What evidence supports this theory?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports this theory, including observations of gravitational lensing, the motion of celestial bodies, and the predictions of general relativity. Additionally, experiments such as the Gravity Probe B have also provided evidence for the warping of spacetime.

How does this theory impact our understanding of the universe?

This theory has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a more complete and accurate explanation of gravity. It has also helped to reconcile inconsistencies between traditional theories and observations, and has led to advancements in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

Are there any potential applications of this theory?

While the main goal of this theory is to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of gravity, it also has potential applications in areas such as space travel and GPS technology. Understanding the warping of spacetime can help us make more accurate calculations for spacecraft trajectories and improve the accuracy of GPS systems.