Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity waves

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I read that one of the most accepted proofs that gravity waves have energy is Richard Feymann's : imagine beads on a rod, gravity waves can move the beads creating friction and heat so they must have energy.

Why does the heat creation make this such a great proof? Isn't it obvious that if they can accelerate mass than they must at least have potantial energy? I know that I must be missing something here. Can someone please explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Ich

Science Advisor

One might otherwise argue that the passing of a GW will not alter the rod permanently and therefore the GW doesn´t lose energy. Or so.

4. Oct 28, 2005 #3
    How can it not be altered permanently if it's giving off heat?

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Is that why the heat is so important?

6. Nov 1, 2005 #5
    It is important since it is thermodynamically impossible to convert all work to heat, so if a gravity wave does some work W for some time T, then does no more work, and an amount of heat Q is given off, the entropy of the rod has increased.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?